pclarke1
Lung Diver
First Name: Paul

US Divers Aquarius

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:55 pm

I recently purchased a US Diver Aquarius as NOS on Ebay (still has the original inspector tag). I can see that Brian has all of the parts I will need to get this in the water (although the chrome is so pretty it will be hard to want to risk a scratch).

My question. In 1997 US Divers had a recall relating to the clamp ring. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1977/Scu ... -Recalled/

This affected all regulators sold after December 1, 1976. My 2nd stage serial number is 73 01818. My belief is that is makes it a 1973 vintage. Was this affected by the recall? My issue really is with the recall description, which would have been more useful if it had said manufactured after or serial numbers later than xxx. But it is possible that they had meant this to apply to all unsold stock as well.

I am interested in opinions as to whether I need to replace my clamp ring. How would I tell if I had a bad one by looking at it. Other than that, I am expecting a straight forward 1st and 2nd stage overhaul (with diaphragm) and to replace the hose which is pretty stiff.

This will never be my day to day reg, just one in the fleet that will get taken out from time to time for fun.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: US Divers Aquarius

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:19 pm

If your clamp ring looks like the normal ones you are used to seeing on the Aqualung, Voit, Mares, etc., metal second stages it is OK. :)

The one that was recalled looks totally different... sort of hard to describe without a picture, but there are no lugs on the clamp ring for the usual screw. The clamp ring was smooth all the way around with just a small overlap of a metal tab on one end of the clamp ring, and a tiny sheet-metal (self tapping) screw "trying" to hold the clamp ring together.

It didn't work worth a darn, as the screws sometimes did not hold, letting the clamp open up some. That could conceivably let water leak in around the edge of the diaphragm, or possibly even let the diaphragm pull out of place. I complained loudly when I first started seeing them show up on new regs because they were difficult to install and the threads easily stripped out of the thin brass if you tightened them just a little too much. The sales rep blamed the cheesy attempt to revise the clamp on "the cheap Frenchman" trying to save a few bucks. :?
The older I get the better I was.

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Does this look like the good one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Yes, that is the good one. It was used both before and after the recall.
The older I get the better I was.

pclarke1
Lung Diver

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Great, I will order the parts and get this bad boy running.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”