Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Ultimate Conshelf Model Guide

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:44 pm

Posted below is all the information that I have accumulated in my travels on all models of the Conshelf regulator. If anyone has any info to fill in the gaps, then feel free :)

The Conshelf VI had 1 3/8" HP, 1 3/8"LP. Its second stage had the 7/8" exhaust valve. It was depicted in the 1965-1969 USD catalogs.

The Conshelf XI had 1 3/8" HP, 2 3/8" LP. Its second stage has the 'magnum' exhaust valve, with a calypso style exhaust tee. It is easily identifiable because it still used a metal yoke screw. It was in the 1970-1971 USD catalogs.

The Conshelf XII had 1 3/8" HP, 2 3/8" LP (early) and 1 3/8" HP, 3 3/8" LP (late model). Its second stage had a magnum exhaust valve with the common press on tee, and a teflon second stage lever. Early models are easy to pick out because they use a yoke nut, while later ones used the C-Clip. They all had plastic yoke knobs. It was in the 1972-1975 USD catalogs with only 3 LP. By 1977 it has 4LP. I have no catalogs to back that up.

The Conshelf XIV has 1HP and 3 3/8" LP and the same second stage as the XII.
It looks identical to a late model XII except for the stickers. Pre-1998 models have 3/8" HP port, anything after has 7/16" (catalog verified).
Made 1977-1980ish (definitely in the 1980 catalog). This is sort of where the line gets drawn for vintage conshelf regulators.

These regulators are not vintage, but are included anyway for your edification.

The Conshelf 20 has the same conshelf XIV first stage, but a plastic second stage. The second stage is internally identical to the metal one in the XIV.

The Conshelf 21 is like a 20 but with 4 lp and 1hp.

The Conshelf 22 is the same as the 21, but with a different second stage.

The Conshelf SE has 3 1/2" LP, and 1 HP. Note that this makes them obnoxious.

The Conshelf SE2 has 1 1/2" LP, 3 3/8" LP, and 1 HP.

The Conshelf SE3 has 4 LP and 1 HP.

The Conshelf 14 has 4 LP, 1HP, and a retro looking metal second stage. It was, to my knowledge, the last Conshelf made. It, as far as I have heard, was called the "14" to fall under the USN ANU approval for the older "XIV" model.

That's all I know. I welcome additions. A sticky would be helpful too :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Ultimate Conshelf Model Guide

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:20 am

Are you gathering photos? It would be nice to put a guide together similar to the ones we have for the double hose regulators.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:09 am

There ya go :) I am interested in the conshelf 30, which I cannot find anywhere, and the conshelf SEA. I would like information on configuration, pictures, numbers and sizes of ports, etc.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Very nice work, Ron! The MR12 series, Scubapro MKV/109, and USD Conshelf regs are my favorite single hose models. I have always had trouble determining the differences in the Conshelf line, and your research will be a big help.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

kiwidiver
Lung Diver
First Name: jeremy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:35 am

Great post
The SEA had the same 2nd stage as the SE2 but had the "T" style 1st stage.

It had one 1/2" LP and three 3/8" LP ports as well as two 7/16" HP ports. internally identical to all the others of course. I always kinda liked this first stage and used one for most of my instructor days coupled with various second sages at different times. It was also sold under the Spiro and Seaquest brands. I also had a Spiro branded one with DIN connection and a dry enviro seal although it had the absolutely horrible impulse plastic adjustable crappy 2nd and i got rid of it.
Interestingly i have a SE2 with the obnoxious 3 1/2" ports like the SE, so there was some variation in ports during model runs. it was my very first reg purchased when i did my open water.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:25 am

FANTASTIC!

Great reference for one of my all time favorite work horse regulators.
Certainly needed for the vintage world.
SDM

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks Kiwi! I have never seen one of the SEA regs in person, but it certainly seems useful. It would be a great spare to have in the garage. It is nice to know how all these first and second stages interact, as you can pretty much build a regulator that meets your needs. I like the conshelf 22 first stage in particular. It has enough ports to run a dry suit, and with a metal vintage second stage, it is a wonderful breathing and looking piece of kit.

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm

This is great that you have put this together.
If you look at the various Conshelf repair kits in the VDH store, there are a couple of other models that they list; SEA2, SEA4, Pro Diver, and Select.
I am assuming that they are additional models of the Conshelf.

Thanks again,
Brian

kiwidiver
Lung Diver
First Name: jeremy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 pm

All the SEA (2,4)first stage models were essentially the same with some detail changes biggest being a change on the balance chamber plug going from a slot to a hex key. and the first stage kits are the same as all the other conshelfs but it will have a couple of extra o rings and from memory a different filter.
The pro diver was just a conshelf with angled ports really heavy and solid.
don't remember much else about it only recall ever servicing one.

the select again from memory was the same first as the SE3 or SE2 maybe but the second stage had big soft rubber front cover, again my memory fails me to what they were inside but i suspect they were the same as the SE2 with a different cover, they were really ugly

I feel a bit embarrassed that the bulk of my knowledge is from the dodgy 80s when USD put out some of their worst products.

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 pm

Don't feel bad! Someday guys my age are going to be rebuilding 80's regulators talking about how the vintage vintage guys are crackpots and modern gear is crap. So it goes.

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 pm

These also may not be vintage, but after taking another look at the repair kits, they list three more models; the Aquarius, the Pioneer, and the Sea Quest XR. Are these additional models of the Conshelf or just other USD regulators that use similar parts?

Thanks,
Brian

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Here's a photo of my very first reg which I eventually sold:

I've heard if it referred to as the Pro Diver, the Royal, and the Conshelf 30. It had 1 HP port (5/16") and 4 1/2" LP ports and was heavy!

crimediver
Master Diver

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 pm

I also dig the Conshelfs. I have all of them I think. I also have the Aquarius which the whole first stage is a solid hunk of brass. The yoke is not removeable as it is all one piece and you can use it like a hammer. I am not sure if it is considered a Conshelf but I would say that internally it would be. I just picked up a NOS Aquarius in the box the other day in a thrift store. I don't think I ever heard of a Pioneer before.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:44 am

The vintage Aquarius is a non-balanced piston regulator. The Conshelf is a balanced diaphragm regulator. They don't share any parts (in the first stage).

The Aquarius had a great simple first stage, but it is a very different design as the Conshelf.

They had the same second stage, but basically all US Divers regulators used to share the same second stage. The Calypso also used the same second stage.

It is interesting all the different body designs they have managed to put Conshelf first stage guts into. Even today's Titan and Legend could be considered part of the Conshelf family (not by name, but by sharing the same diaphragm first stage design).
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 am

Very interesting thread Ron. I have a little I can add. The Royal that Ed posted above came in 2 versions, a Royal Aqua-Lung and the Royal Aqua-Lung Supreme (silicone fluid filled enviro seal). The second stage was a somewhat complicated balanced second stage, I have not seen any other USD/AL like it. I have one of the seconds (in pieces, came that way and it is in my very deep round-2-it pile). I have the service manual and parts breakdown for both stages of the Royal.

I also have one of the SEAs that I used for a pool and travel reg for a while. It does use the same service parts a the Conshelf other than a couple of different Orings and the filter is a cone shape. Although it's heavy, I liked it as a travel reg because it is so easy to get to the main components. One allan screw and the balance chamber and HP seat drop out for easy service. I have the service manual for the SEA as well if anyone wants it.
Herman

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”