shackle
Diver

Re: What is your favorite vintage single hose reg?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:17 pm

I've been on the look out for an MR-12 for a while and finally scored one on E-bay for $25.00 just yesterday. The 2nd stage is freeflowing, other than that I don't know what the inside will hold until I get it. I was wondering if either Slonda or Greg Barlow would be interested or have the time and inclination to get it up to snuff for me. I would, of course, pay for all time and materials. PM me if interested. Thanks

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm

shackle wrote:I've been on the look out for an MR-12 for a while and finally scored one on E-bay for $25.00 just yesterday. The 2nd stage is freeflowing, other than that I don't know what the inside will hold until I get it. I was wondering if either Slonda or Greg Barlow would be interested or have the time and inclination to get it up to snuff for me. I would, of course, pay for all time and materials. PM me if interested. Thanks
Shackle,

I no longer repair regs for a dive center, so I am not insured to restore/rebuild regs. Ron might be able to assist you, but he is very busy with his new job.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 am

I do not repair any regulators either any longer. Sorry.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:04 pm

The insurance issue is a thing that concerns me as well, but my friends at the LDS are insured for their service work, and told me that they would be glad to help you with your MR-12. They are interested in vintage regs, have some of their own that they work on, and call on me for help when needed since I am more familiar with the old stuff.

IARTD (International Association of Recreational and Technical Divers) 469-464-2685. Or email Adam at iartd.org
The older I get the better I was.

shackle
Diver

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks for all your replies. I have located a technician.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:01 am

shackle wrote:Thanks for all your replies. I have located a technician.
Glad to hear that Shackle. Enjoy your MR-12 regulator. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

shackle
Diver

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks Joe. It is completed with new silicone diaphram and should have it back shortly. Leaving for Seattle 1st of April and will cristen in in Puget Sound. Hate to miss Sand Dog though. Hopefully I'll make it to Portage for the 1st time this August.

USdiver
Master Diver

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Just spent the afternoon at my LDS rebuilding my AMF Swimaster MR12-II, upgrading the HP seat to the Mares tri-material specifications (thanks for the pin Greg). I set the IP at 135, and man is this a sweet breathing rig. It's almost an embarrassment going by the moniker of USdiver, as this vintage single hose breathes nicer than my beloved Conshelf XIV. If AMF had been able to make their Harley-Davidson division perform as smoothly as their MR12 regulators, well the history of motorcycles might have worked out differently. Can't wait to show this off on my next dive.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm

USdiver wrote:Just spent the afternoon at my LDS rebuilding my AMF Swimaster MR12-II, upgrading the HP seat to the Mares tri-material specifications (thanks for the pin Greg). I set the IP at 135, and man is this a sweet breathing rig. It's almost an embarrassment going by the moniker of USdiver, as this vintage single hose breathes nicer than my beloved Conshelf XIV. If AMF had been able to make their Harley-Davidson division perform as smoothly as their MR12 regulators, well the history of motorcycles might have worked out differently. Can't wait to show this off on my next dive.
Welcome to the Voit ranks.. :mrgreen: 8)
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:10 pm

USdiver wrote:Just spent the afternoon at my LDS rebuilding my AMF Swimaster MR12-II, upgrading the HP seat to the Mares tri-material specifications (thanks for the pin Greg). I set the IP at 135, and man is this a sweet breathing rig. It's almost an embarrassment going by the moniker of USdiver, as this vintage single hose breathes nicer than my beloved Conshelf XIV. If AMF had been able to make their Harley-Davidson division perform as smoothly as their MR12 regulators, well the history of motorcycles might have worked out differently. Can't wait to show this off on my next dive.
Sigh....Perhaps someday they all will learn the truth...

George, I am looking forward to seeing your work-of-art. It looks as if Craig received my bag of O-rings as well.

Greg

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

USdiver
Master Diver

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Greg,

Indeed Craig did receive your o-ring goodies, which I used in the rebuild. Thanks for all of your help. The silicone from the CWD kit that the first stage did a great job of keeping things corrosion free, at the cost of making everything super slippery and a pita to clean up.

Can't wait dive the rig this spring.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

kumonomi

Re:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:45 pm

Bryan wrote:I'd like to know what other single hose can stand up to the Conshelf XIV Supreme in any circumstance? Especially for the price ! They are 10 foot tall and bullet proof...JMO and personal experience..
and so good they still make em, but only listed in the USD Military catalog, I still sell these to the Navy here on Guam. But man are they friggin expensive!

I have at least 10 of these, and use them on my bail out bottles, but I all time favorite deep water reg when I am working ( deep water photo ) is my Spro MK-5/Pilot second, that thing breaths like silk!

cheers

Chris

hallen41
Skin Diver

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:38 pm

I love my Scubapro Mk V with adjustable 2nd stage.
I started diving it in 1966 and it still works fine. I have made deep deco dives wit no octo and it always brought me home.

My other favorite is the Conshelf XIV, built like a tank and breathes great.

people have tried to sell me on more modern regulators but I just can't see the point.

Healthways

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Wow, this thread is really bummin me out.
I remeber when I bought my Mark V and Mark VII new, I
feel like a really old bastard..... :lol:

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:27 am

hallen41 wrote:I love my Scubapro Mk V with adjustable 2nd stage.
I started diving it in 1966 and it still works fine. I have made deep deco dives wit no octo and it always brought me home.

My other favorite is the Conshelf XIV, built like a tank and breathes great.

people have tried to sell me on more modern regulators but I just can't see the point.
You just haven't tried an MR12-II yet.. :mrgreen:
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”