Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:28 pm

Maybe I will do it then, nothing I cannot reverse. It does make a beautiful set that works super great.

"Hey fella, what sort of regulator is that, Voit, hmmm, never heard of them?"

Oh, just something I through together.

Nemrod

jamiep3
Diver

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:10 pm

Calypso J. Learned to dive with one in the 70's, still have one I use.
If you get confused, listen to the music play...

SDAquamaster

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:27 am

I am a big fan of the Scubapro Mk 3. It's the first regulator I ever owned and I learned to dive with it in the early 80's. I still own it and use it on a deco bottle.

It is super simple, bullet proof and offers reasonably good performance. And with the unbalanced first stage, I get ample warning that I will shortly need to make a gas switch.

standingup

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:23 pm

Put the calypso on my Phoenix- seems to fit being vintage and aqua lung and all that.

SDAquamaster

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:19 pm

standingup wrote:Put the calypso on my Phoenix- seems to fit being vintage and aqua lung and all that.
I am not sure what to do with mine. I have very nice Calypso, Aquarius, Conshelf XII, Conshelf XI and "Aqualung" second stages that would all make great octos on my Phoenix.

The last two have the narrow exhaust tee and the old style mouthpiece on them. They are quite vintage, but a bit less practical - and I am afraid the parts would be hard to replace if lost or damaged. So I am not sure which one I will put on.

Bob3
Diver

Nobody sez Poseidon Cyklon?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:40 am

The Conshelf XIV was the reg used to build the first Superlite hats, they just drilled a hole in the end of the housing & added a knob to make it adjustable so it'd work under a wide range of supply pressures.
Now that I've given the nod to that trusty old workhorse, How about the Poseidon Cyklons?
The 2nd stages haven't changed much at all in over 35 years, they still use the same rebuild kit even.
Heck, they haven't changed a whole lot in the almost 50 years they've been made.
Prior to the Cyklon we have the all time classic (or pre-classic) Cyklomat, the "Holy Grail" of Poseidon fanatics:

Your Friendly Northern California Viking/Poseidon Drysuit Dealer

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: Nobody sez Poseidon Cyklon?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:40 am

Bob3 wrote:The Conshelf XIV was the reg used to build the first Superlite hats, they just drilled a hole in the end of the housing & added a knob to make it adjustable so it'd work under a wide range of supply pressures.
Now that I've given the nod to that trusty old workhorse, How about the Poseidon Cyklons?
The 2nd stages haven't changed much at all in over 35 years, they still use the same rebuild kit even.
Heck, they haven't changed a whole lot in the almost 50 years they've been made.
Prior to the Cyklon we have the all time classic (or pre-classic) Cyklomat, the "Holy Grail" of Poseidon fanatics:

Yeah...The Cyklon is about as "classic" as it can get for single hose regs. For many years it was the yardstick that was used to measure performance for deep diving.

Bob, my Viking dry suit is still on its original set of seals! They have yet to show any deterioration at all.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Bob3
Diver

cool...

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Bob, my Viking dry suit is still on its original set of seals! They have yet to show any deterioration at all.
Glad to hear it, that's what happens when ya get the good stuff. :wink:
They're selling the "regular cut" here in the US now, no need to have 'em smuggled into the US. :twisted:
Your Friendly Northern California Viking/Poseidon Drysuit Dealer

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: cool...

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:59 pm

Bob3 wrote:
Glad to hear it, that's what happens when ya get the good stuff. :wink:
They're selling the "regular cut" here in the US now, no need to have 'em smuggled into the US. :twisted:
That is real good news. Apparently the dieting plans that are so prevalent in the USA are beginning to work.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

jbrians
Lung Diver

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:45 pm

captain wrote:I have a Healthways Scubair sonic, a Voit MR ll, a Voit Little Gem, a Conshelf from about 1970, not sure what number it is and my favorite a Scuba Pro MK V with ajustable second.
I have a Healthways Scubair "B". the B stood for balanced first stage. A surprisingly good performer and I used it for many years with 0 problems.

seahunter
Skin Diver

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:58 pm

If the USD Conshelf was bulletproof, the Healthways regs were tankproof!
Heavy, heavy first stage, all chrome second (even the exhaust tee was chromed brass), the Healthways regs were and still are the toughest ever made. Good breathing? Hmmm.
The Healthways regs from the 60's were way ahead of their time. They were one of the first to have a true balanced regulator. They had at different times and on different models J Valves on the regulator, Sonic Reserves, enclosed yoke screws to prevent hang-ups on weeds or fishing line and EZ clip second stages that allowed you to open the second stage for rinsing without tools.

My own first reg was an Aquamatic. We were trained on Mistrals and our instructor (1960) told the class to never, ever buy a single hose reg. "They'll kill you" he said and he was right. Although I used that Aquamatic for a long time and still have it, it was no "breathing machine"!

The mid-model Calypso with the stick gauge was popular and rugged.
I had several Cyklon 300s (still do) and as you've said, they were the standard by which breathing ease was measured for years. It was nice to be able to adjust the venturi on them - even underwater. No other reg had that. They were a bit fiddly to service and had those damn..ed metric ports.

Of them all I think the single hose reg I liked the most was the Dacor Olympic 400. It was very well-built, easy breathing and with all that brass in the first stage it would never freeze. If you wanted to, for ice diving, you could fill the cap with gin and seal it all in with a condom. There was a "J" option which gave you a J Valve right on the reg (silly!) and the mandatory neck strap. These were made at the height of Dacor's dominance and maybe the best ever.

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:17 am

I am partial to the Conshelf 14 Supreme. I use mine a lot. I own a dozen or so variations and have never had a problems with any of them.
I also own a mint non-magnetic Conshelf VI military reg that has a very high cool factor.[/u]

INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:25 pm

I picked ap a Conshelf XIV in great shape. I had a Titan environmental seal put on and now it is Supreme. I have a question however. When you put it on the tank valve It seems the hand wheel faces your head because it put's the HP on the Left side. Is this correct?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:14 pm

[quote="INFIDELxx"]I picked ap a Conshelf XIV in great shape. I had a Titan environmental seal put on and now it is Supreme. I have a question however. When you put it on the tank valve It seems the hand wheel faces your head because it put's the HP on the Left side. Is this correct?

Place the regulator body 180 degrees to what you have now, so that the two center hoses (both LP) point down beside the cylinder. Turn the tank 180 in your pack, so that the hand wheel is facing away from you, and you'll have the intended configuration. The hoses will be out of the way and won't be snagging on stuff. I think you'll like it better.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:16 pm

I forgot to mention that you might also try it without the swivel since that hose will be oriented in a pretty useful position without it. See if that works out to suit you.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”