scubadiver_bob

Re: What is your favorite vintage single hose reg?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi,

I have a 1962 WaterLung Master Diver (Navy Approved) and dove with it last year. I had replaced the diaphram with a silicon one I found that fit it and worked ok. It breathes great!

I like the second stage design on this reg. Instead of having a lp seat, it has like a LP stem like valve. Very simple design that requires no adjustment. Easy to work on.

I haven't been here for a while. Is there still a ten message limit in the mailboxes? Hope that got taken care of with this new forum.

Hi again everyone!

Robert

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Sounds like it has an upstream "tilt-valve" which was used on the early Sportsways regs as well as a number of other brands. I've got a couple of these sitting around waiting their turn for an overhaul. What diaphragm did you find that fit? How about the exhaust valve?
The older I get the better I was.

scubadiver_bob

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:46 pm

antique diver wrote:Sounds like it has an upstream "tilt-valve" which was used on the early Sportsways regs as well as a number of other brands. I've got a couple of these sitting around waiting their turn for an overhaul. What diaphragm did you find that fit? How about the exhaust valve?

The exhaust valve I used was one made to fit from an old snorkel. I'm not for certain exactly what diaphram I used. I had access to a box of misc. diaphrams a friend of mine has and we went through them until we found a couple that fit. One made the reg slightly freeflow when put back together and the second one that fit works great! (Luck?)

I wish you luck. The LP stems in the second stage are sort of rare. The one in mine is like new. When it wears out ......... ??????

sthtxdiver
Master Diver

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:38 pm

hello fellow divers this spiro and my medi 66 are the only single hosers i use for pool workouts (nide breathers) best regards
ps thanx luis i bought a few extra bags for my regs

Charlie

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:42 pm

scubadiver_bob wrote:
antique diver wrote:Sounds like it has an upstream "tilt-valve" which was used on the early Sportsways regs as well as a number of other brands. I've got a couple of these sitting around waiting their turn for an overhaul. What diaphragm did you find that fit? How about the exhaust valve?

.......... I'm not for certain exactly what diaphram I used. I had access to a box of misc. diaphrams a friend of mine has and we went through them until we found a couple that fit. .....

I'll see if my first wife has one that will fit. :twisted:

hallen41
Skin Diver

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:59 pm

I still Like the ScubaPro MKV with an adjustable 2nd stage. I first dove it about 1966 and trust it totally, with or witout an octo.

WD8CDH

Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:55 pm

My favorite is the Cyklon 300 second stage on a Conshelf Supreme first stage. Been using that combo since the early '70s. It's also my prefered (but never needed yet) backup regulator for a double hose. It's also my prefered LP source when diving a single stage double hose reg.

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:17 pm

My current favorite single hose is my Voit Viking 40. That reg breathes effortlessly at any depth, and has the lowest SAC rate of any reg I've yet tried. My newly operational Voit Dolphin might give it a run for its money though. Dove that reg last week and it is one sweet breather.. :)
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:28 pm

I think that my favorite regulator is the original calypso. The integrated metal exhaust tee allows for a super low cracking pressure adjustment. Plus the fact that I am diving one of the first single hose regs to make it to that kind of depth (see 1962 catalog) is awesome. Plus even Allan K. thought it was nice, and he generally hates on single hose regs.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 pm

slonda828 wrote:... Plus even Allan K. thought it was nice, and he generally hates on single hose regs.
Yes he does. :wink: 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:05 am

My new favorite, at least for now. It's not a great breather, but ya gotta admit it's unique!
Now if I can just remember which way to turn the valve before a back roll off the boat. :?

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:54 pm

antique diver wrote:My new favorite, at least for now. It's not a great breather, but ya gotta admit it's unique!
Now if I can just remember which way to turn the valve before a back roll off the boat. :?

Definitely unique! You are guaranteed to be the only one ever with one of those..

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:53 pm

capn_tucker wrote:
Definitely unique! You are guaranteed to be the only one ever with one of those..
The "Deluxe Aqua-Matic" was in the USD catalog from 1959-1961, but I don't know anyone who has actually dived with one. Apparently very few have ever seen one. It was derived from USD's Aqua-Matic (no snorkel), their first single-hose regulator, showing up in 1957.

One of the other forum members has one new in the box, so I suppose he hasn't used it. I'll be diving with this one!

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:49 pm

antique diver wrote:
capn_tucker wrote:
The "Deluxe Aqua-Matic" was in the USD catalog from 1959-1961, but I don't know anyone who has actually dived with one. Apparently very few have ever seen one. It was derived from USD's Aqua-Matic (no snorkel), their first single-hose regulator, showing up in 1957.

One of the other forum members has one new in the box, so I suppose he hasn't used it. I'll be diving with this one!
I was referring to the yellow part. That looks to be a custom part?

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Well, this is the only Deluxe that I have ever actually seen, and the catalogs are too vague to determine color, so I don't know what other colors might have been available. At one time I had 4 of the regular Aqua-Matics, and they were all black.

Does anyone know if anything other than yellow was offered in the Duluxe Aqua-Matic reg?

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”