73diver
Diver
First Name: Ken

Environmentally Sealed Piston First Stage?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:10 pm

One of my two Scubapro Mk7's (around 1980) had a decal on the outside describing that external chamber was packed with silicone grease. This essentially accomplished a version of environmental sealing for cold water use. The external ports were reduced from two 3/16" holes to six 1/16" holes. I believe something like this was also done on the Mk5 3rd ed. as well. I am not able to find any Scubapro maintenance or product information on this cold-water feature. Does anyone remember anything about this? Thanks, Ken

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Environmentally Sealed Piston First Stage?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Yep... the main thing I remember is it's a gooey mess to service! :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 pm

I recently rebuilt an MK5 that was goobered like that. Does it actually work??? I have my doubts. It just makes a mess. Scubapro MK5s and it's varients just don't do minus 40 degree water well, hence their well earned rep on the Great Lakes. Scubaflow.

ovalis
Master Diver

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Yes, they were a big mess. A pain to service by cleaning up all that silicone.
The other problem was the sand & silt would get trapped in the silicone.
Before they shrunk the size of the holes to retain the silicone, they used a different, fatter cap that you had to insert a sintered filter along with a set screw to hold the filter in place.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:47 am

It was a desperate (and in my opinion, foolish) attempt to seal their beloved piston regulator from the elements with a big gob of grease, but they were trying to solve a problem that was already solved long before a piston regulator ever went diving! Duh, how about a diaphragm sealed regulator? :roll: Scubapro finally added them to their line in later years, and looks like they still have them.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”