georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Nemrod by Seamless Rebuilds

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Gurus-
I've got a few 1st and second stages identical to the one pictured above. Looking for available kits that might have the correct goodies just to do a basic service and get them diving again

Thanks,
G

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: Nemrod by Seamless Rebuilds

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

You will likely have difficulty in obtaining high pressure valve components, but a VDH member might be able to provide what you need.

The O-rings are generally easy to match up with existing examples. Using an instrument that measures accurately to 0.001" compare the dimensions to AS568A and metric units. The majority of times they are AS568A.

The exhaust valve may match one of the VDH items. The LP seat may be a match as well.

If the second stage diaphragm is composed of silicone, it will typically just need a thorough cleaning. Do NOT apply silicone spray or grease, as they will damage the material.

Greg Barlow
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks, Greg - hey, do you know what model this is? Can you tell just by looking at it? I seem to be finding a lot of conflicting info on the world wide web - some say Snark II Deluxe, some say Snark III Deluxe ? Nothing stamped on the thing beyond HP and LP port markings. Kind of a nice looking second stage and I was looking at pairing (for octo) one of these second stages with that MR 12 I got from that guy that you rebuilt a few years ago.

Thanks, again - I may just wait on trying to get parts for the first stage and just focus on returning a second stage to service. When I put the above rig on a tank it leaks by . . may not be anything wrong with the second beyond an inspection and cleaning.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:09 pm

This is a SWAG but that appears to be a flow through piston design. If so, there are pretty good odds the HP seat is still servicable as is and also a good chance it can be flipped over, using the other side. Orings should not be a problem although they may be metric, again not a big problem but something to take into consideration. The other issue is the J valve seat but as long as it's intact (not crunchy) they you can always just use it in the reserve position but again, odds are it will work. It's worth a shot to dissamble it and see what you have.

Take photos as you do, both so you can get more advise and so you know how it came apart. I photo document anything I dissamble that I am unfamilure with, it has saved my rear on several occasions. Be sure to take close ups as it comes appart and of any assemblies as they are removed. I lay the parts out in order and photograph them so I have an exploded view of the item.
Herman

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Image<p> Well, that was a little easier than expected . . The IP checked out at 130PSI so as soon as I pulled off the cover I noted what looked like a barely used piece of equipment. Yes, the diaphragm is kind of cheap rubber not silicone and it was not looking great but not too bad either. The root cause of the leak by appears to be that the little demand lever height adjustment nut was run all the way down. The demand lever was sticking up at about a 70 degree angle and about a half inch above the plane of the housing edge - backed off the nut with a 7mm nut driver until the lever was about the same height as the edge. Checked the spring and valve assembly, cleaned everything up, put it back together, onto a tank and presto. Works just fine with no leak by.

Thanks, guys

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”