reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Healthway Scuba Star

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:23 pm

I am in between working on my double hoses and thought I would look at a Healthway Scuba Star that I have. It was leaking at the 2nd stage. When I dissasemlbed the 2nd stage, there seems to be a leak where the " needle like pin actuator seat meets the opening. There appears to be a rubber type O ring around this pin which is suppose to seat when air pressure is on but it leaks. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or if the LP seats for single hose regs that Bryon sells would fit. Also, is there a schematic for this reg?
Thanks
Reddiver

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Healthway Scuba Star

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:45 pm

You need a replacement tilt valve, those are hard to come by and odds are any you find will be too hard. I have not found a good way of restoring them. A word of caution, there should be a over pressure valve in one of the LP ports. It must be installed, if the first stage fails and the tilt valve does seat you stand a good chance of having a hose explode. Do not plug that hole, you can replace it with a down stream second stage which will act as a relief if you prefer.

I really like the little first stage but the second not so much. I pair them with Voit/AMF MR-12 second stages for a compact little reg.

Download the 1962 Healthways catalog, there is a parts breakdown on page 36.
Herman

reddiver
Lung Diver

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks, I will check it out.

reddiver
Lung Diver

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Herman, thanks for the advice. It does have the over pressure valve.
I sanded the seat area, and got the valve to seat o'k. I also had a spare
Voit Trieste double hose swimaster Diaphragm ( from Scuba Museum) that seemed to match perfect and I put it in. Now I need to test dive.

Reddiver

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”