2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

MR 12 Unmarked First

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Picked up this really nice Voit MR 12 for $9
The first stage has no Serial # says pat. pend.
none of the outlets are marked for high or low pressure
and the bottom of the first stage is not round as the others I own.
The second stage is serial # 02337
Is this an early model?
Any finfo is appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: MR 12 Unmarked First

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Scott,

Yes, you do have an early example of the MR12. The earliest models had a second stage that read, "Titan II MR-12", but those are pretty difficult to find.

Yours was likely manufactured in 1969 or 1970, but most likely in the late 1969 period due to its low serial number. $9 was a steal, as it is in excellent condition. $50-75 would have been more in line with the market value.

The regulator can be rebuilt using VDH and Mares MR12 III parts. In fact, by utilizing a Mares Abyss second stage diaphragm, the performance will be significantly improved.

I have rebuilt many of the early MR-12 regs over the years, and am always pleased with the results. The regulator offers very good breathing characteristics at all recreational diving depths.

You own a prime example of the world's first US Navy approved single hose regulator!

Greg Barlow
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Greg,

The High pressure seat was toast, crumbled to pieces.
Stole one out of a piece reg I had laying around.

The second stage diaphragm is still pretty pliable, but will replace it.
I actually cut down a Dacor diaphragm with good results on a past rebuild while waiting for a new one.

Scott

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:09 pm

In the original configuration, the MR-12 used a balance chamber assembly that did not utilize a Teflon back-up ring. The actuation pin is also correspondingly shorter in length. Of course, if the regulator has been rebuilt, it could very likely contain an upgraded balance chamber/pin combination.

I highly suggest that you use an Aqualung HP assembly that Bryan offers. This, along with a custom cut pin of the proper length will offer superior performance. The MR12 rebuild kit offers everything that you need other than the Mares second stage diaphragm. Considering your low purchase price, you would have an excellent restored reg for relatively little investment.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”