Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Exhaust T for old Calypso/Conshelf

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:58 pm

I am talking the kind that had two screws, not the slip on type. I have used my last one. I think Trident makes one but I cannot get that catalog to download over my satellite connection.

Did y'all know, I think, that USD said those type of Calypso and Conshelf were dangerous? I think they did. I cannot find that source right now?

I use these mostly for seconds on my double hose rigs because they are more compact that the slip on type Conshelf seconds. And super performance is not a requirement, just get me back to the surface or assist an OOA diver is all they need to do. But, the dang exhaust tees :cry: .

The diaphragms in the vdh store fit these dandy.

I was able to get in the pool a few days ago with scuba gear and used, among other things, my first regulator, a Calypso J 1966 model. It is not vintage anymore since I had to replace the LP hose and the new diaphragm but it looks just like it used to :D once again. I would not dive the Spiegal in a ripping current with it but now just as in those olden times, it would be a blast over the grass beds out of Keaton Beach, barely 20 feet.

Nem

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Exhaust T for old Calypso/Conshelf

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:49 am

Jame, I think I have a couple of them (complete more or less) and another one that is susposed to be here monday. They are yours for the shipping if you still need them.
Herman

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Sure, I will take the tees. Just let me know how much. I can paypal you or whatever. :D

Did you ever find your screw driver?

James

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:11 pm

A technique that I use when using old calypso style tee second stages for octos is just to cut the exhaust tee off where it usually breaks from old age. That way, you don't have an exposed exhaust valve, but you don't need to buy new tees. The tee ends up having a 2 and a half inch length that way. It makes it mostly useless for diving as a primary, but it makes for a great compact all metal backup.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

menemsha1968
Skin Diver
First Name: Dean

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Nemrod,

Why would you not use the old Calypso/Conshelf second stage in a ripping current?

-Menemsha

menemsha1968
Skin Diver
First Name: Dean

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:19 am

Nemrod, I tried to send you a personal message, but for some reason, this system is not allowing me to (or maybe I'm not doing something right), so I hope you'll see this. I saw your post about the older style Calypso/Conshelf regulators, and that you would not use them in a strong current. I'm very interested to know why. Is there something about them that I should know about? 95% of my diving is in extremely strong current in the Saint Clair river, under the Blue Water Bridge (to Canada) in Port Huron, Michigan. When crawling along the bottom to get to the wrecks (We go out on the bottom, and come in on the bottom. Surfacing anywhere is a great way to get run over by a boat; there is way too much boat traffic in such a narrow space for that.); the current can be strong enough to break straps and pull off masks, pull regulators out of mouth pieces, pin divers to (or under) the hull of some of the wrecks here, bend knee joints around timbers and pin legs, causing divers to cut a fin loose to be able to straighten the leg to get free, and when the lake freighters go over head and the current triples, the gravel getting sucked up off the bottom can crack the glass of a mask if one doesn't keep their face down and covered. These are just the things I've experienced. Who knows what else happens to other guys; I generally dive alone here. I have tried many, many regulators over the years, and most will free flow if exposed to a strong enough current, for a couple different reasons. I've only found a few designs that will not do this, and my favorite one so far is the old style Calypso/Conshelf second stage. It is my primary go-to regulator (I currently have it mated to a SEA4 first stage) whenever I dive the river, and has been for 20+ years. If US Divers, or any one else, has found it to be dangerous, I need to know why. I don't want to drown because of a bad regulator. There are enough other challenges to tend to, without worrying about a regulator failure.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:54 am

I think Nemrod is just referring about the exhaust flow resistance associated with the very early second stages (the ones with the two screws on the exhaust “T”). Some had a very small exhaust valve. But hopefully he can drop in and confirm this.

There are no issues with the demand valve mechanism. Or at least, I have never heard of any.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”