bullfrog
First Name: Hermann

Adjusitng a Conshelf SE2 1st-stage regulator

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:56 am

After previously just renting them, I recently purchased used scuba gear with a Conshelf SE2 1st and 2nd stage regulator. I checked them out on the bottle and found that none of them blows bubbles. However, because I have no idea when that set was last serviced (I saw some slight salt “corrosion” on the 1st stage), I am going to install a new service kit. My Question : To what criteria should the Adjustment Screw adjusted to ? Thank you for your response ?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Adjusitng a Conshelf SE2 1st-stage regulator

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:02 pm

I would download a copy of the service manual. Google search shows copies in several places. Its basically a Conshelf with a polymer case 2nd stage. Great regulator and easy to service with the correct tools and a little knowhow.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

bullfrog

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Thank you for your reply :) . I only could find a service manual for the Conshelf XIV online. Do you have a particular site for downloading the manual ?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:49 pm

It rebuilds like the XIV except you don't need the bent lever tool for the 2nd stage. The SE has a removable port opposite the poppet adjustment nut that lets you set/adjust the lever height. Herman makes a specialty tool for this and it is well worth the price in the headache savings alone.
NOTE: when you re-install the access port #20 do not overtighten it...The head will snap right off.

CLICK HERE. Adjustment tool from Herman

Conshelf Technical Manaul

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 pm

The Conshelf first stage is fairly easy to service but a couple of other tools you must have are a good oring pick and an IP gauge. You need the pick to get the orings out of the balance chamber. Be VERY careful when doing so, a scratch in the wrong place inside of the balance chamber will distroy it and require you to buy a new one (the good news is they are available and not bad expensive). The IP gauge is a must have to service any regulator. It allows you to set the IP of the regulator to the proper valve (which tells you where to set the adjustment screw) and more importantly it tells you if the balance chamber and HP seat are working correctly.
Herman

bullfrog

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks again for your help. Referring to my first post, below is an image of my Conshelf. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:55 pm

No misunderstanding, that is the screw that adjust the IP of the regulator, to set it you must have an IP gauge. You can not just "turn it 3 turns" or something like that, you must have the correct gauge to set it. You connect the reg to a full tank, connect the gauge and adjust the screw as needed to adjust the IP of the reg to specs...which is 140+/- 5 psi.
Herman

kiwidiver
Lung Diver
First Name: jeremy

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi, bullfrog the screw you are referring to adjusts the intermediate pressure. i.e. the pressure that is supplied to the second stage.
As a direct answer to your question:It should be adjusted so you get an IP of 140±5 psig

the very best thing to do as the guys have suggested is to go to the download section https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.a ... 6172b09c9a
go to US Divers manuals,testing, parts drawings, all years covered
and download the Conshelf_XIV_Tech_Man_02_10.pdf
the other XIV manual will do fine but you will find the tech manual a bit easier to follow.
now the XIV first stage is the same as your SE2 the only difference is the SE2 used bigger hose ports and they were arranged slightly different. Also the second stage shown in the photos of the Conshelf_XIV_Tech_Man_02_10.pdf is identical to your SE2 second stage as it has the access port for adjusting the lever height the only difference is your case is plastic not metal.
I would suggest you buy the first and second service kits from Bryan and follow the whole procedure step by step as per the manual.
Is this the first reg you have serviced?
If you have done it before then i apologise for being a bit basic.
if not i would suggest getting a copy of regulator savvy and probably Basic scuba as the service manuals presume a certain level of knowledge and don't always explain exactly HOW to do something and never WHY you are doing it.
Please also the other comments you have received so far is solid advice especially as far as tools go, these guys are experts at this stuff.

bullfrog

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Thank you guys for your time and detailed advise. I'll do as suggested. It's great to be on your forum :D .

kiwidiver
Lung Diver
First Name: jeremy

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:03 am

Let us know how you go.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”