SEA PRO (AT PAC) SINGLE HOSE REGS-INFORMATION NEEDED

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am

Need Information.......

Sea Pro single hose regulators
Designed by Larry Scott (The co-founder of Sea Pro & dear long term friend)
Manufactured by Sea Pro (The company that manufactured At Pac)

As I recall there were two models. Does any one have any information on them?
Their common names?
Years produced?
A Sea Pro catalog? What year issued (rare)
A picture of them?
The SDM article? When? Title?

I am specifically interested in the Sea Pro model with the dual chambered first stage that had a leak path designed to inflate the at Pac after 90 seconds of the diver not breathing.

I have that model in mint condition --Need Information!

SDM

JAdair
Lung Diver

Re: SEA PRO (AT PAC) SINGLE HOSE REGS-INFORMATION NEEDED

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 am

Have not been on this forum for awhile, so I don't know if this was answered or not, but here is some information for you.

Water Gill was the original company that produced that regulator, it was designated the FSDS-100 (Fail Safe Diving system) and first sent to market in 1976/77. It was a 2 piston system that would inflate your atpac if you stopped breathing or if your tank pressure dropped below 500psi.

In or around 1983 Water Gill changed its name to Seapro and renamed the regulator the FSDS-50. I also believe the Seapro regulator dropped the function of auto-inflation when not breathing but kept the auto-inflation when tank pressure dropped below 500 psi. (I have the seapro version that cant auto inflate after not breathing)

Now this is a bit foggier, but I think sometime in the late 80's Seapro redesigned the FSDS-50 putting the pistons back to back rather than side to side like the original. You see those show up on ebay now and again.

I have saved a bunch of information on this, ads and skin diver articles, contact me if you are still looking for them.

John
[email protected]

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:53 pm

The answer is YES!

I originally posted to obtain information on Water Gill/Sea Pro for a presentation I was preparing for the local SLO S&R DivCon on the development of Single Hose regulators. I have a dual chamber reg which I photographed but needed advertisements etc. So I went page by page through SDMs until I found an advertisement to copy.

I will enlarge the presentation and will be presenting at the 2014 SCUBA show in Long Beach, California in June.

So YES! I would enjoy and could use any and all that you have in you file.

Are you from Kalifornia? The rains have at last appeared - 9 months with out rain! (only sunshine and warm weather)

SDM

JAdair
Lung Diver

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Send me an email I have a lot of stuff I have scanned, and I will send it to you. I was trying to put together a history of Water Gill, just is a project that keeps getting pushed.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Water Gill was established by Bob Lorenz in as I recall Venice California in the early 1950s

It was primary a dive shop operation with scientific overtones. I had a number of friends who were associated with the organization, I suspect most are in the big ref in the sky. One was Parry Bivens first husband of Zale Parry. She just might have some records or possible recollections that she can share with you. I can not disclose Zale' address or telephone number but if you would take some time to create a number of pertinent questions I can forward them to Zale.

My last conversation with Bob Lorenz who like me had retired and move to some where in NorCal. If alive he would be in his mid 90s. I suspect he is also on that big reef in the sky.

I will PM my mailing address.

Thanks again for sharing your reseach

SDM

kgehring
Master Diver

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:11 pm

If you need a regulator, I can ship you mine for your talk
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Thank You Karl, for your generous offer. I have one in mint condition.

The current trend is to use power point. I "in the can" and used last year at the San Luis Obispo underwater search and recovery team annual diver conference.

SAM

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”