kiwidiver
Lung Diver
First Name: jeremy

Porpoise

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 am

Here are some pics of a nice Porpoise Universal I have just picked up. All the rubber bits are in good shape, had a quick peak at the diaphragm and it is nice and soft. unfortunately it seems that the LP hose has been replaced by gluing a new hose into the original end fittings!!
This one is obviously one of the later models as it has a purge button and the Australian Divers Spiro label so it is after L'Air Liquide bought out Teds business. I am hoping YankDownUnder might be able to give some more info on this particular model as the others I have seen have (on the net and actually) been pre Spiro.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Re: Porpoise

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Well, now that is an interesting piece of equipment. I like the art deco, I am a machine, look it has. It probably breaths like cr---p but it looks like a million. I like it. Thanks for the photos. :D

Nem

kiwidiver
Lung Diver

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 am

thanks Nemrod, apparently they were supposed to breath pretty well, the 1st stage was rated at 300 lpm and the second was venturi assisted. i will have to get around to getting it operational and figure out how to adapt the O2 type valve connector at least just to test it out. it will have to wait for now, to many projects.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:17 am

Nimrod,
According to early test they were one heck of a regulator and had exceptional breathing characteristics, better than most for that era of regulator production.

Kiwidiver,
How common are these regulators in Australia? How pricey are they to purchase?
SDM

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 am

Steve Taylor has not been on in a while but from what I understand he is the go to guy for Porpoise regulators in Australia....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Steve and I remain in touch, but it has been several weeks since we corresponded. He is indeed very knowledgeable on the Porpoise

A great reference book and one that I certainly recommends is ~~ The "Porpoise;" Australian Diving Technology The World Copied ~~ Authored and researched by Des Walters, Des Williams, Melvin Brown and Tony Gregory--Paper back, 169 pages, 8-1/2 X 11 (a wee bit larger) well written and profusely illustrated with pictures and drawings, I don't recall the price..

SDM

kiwidiver
Lung Diver

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:23 am

21, I have only ever seen two others in the flesh and they were earlier ones pre spiro and were definitely not for sale.
I picked this one up quite cheap on eBay, i suspect the seller had no idea what it was, it was just listed as "old dive stuff" with no description. I recognised it straight away and just had to have it. thanks for the tip on the book i will have to try and chase down a copy which may not be easy but the national library has a copy for lend. hmm might have to get myself a library card :wink:
basically everything i know about the porpoise comes from what Steve has posted.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:02 am

I would strongly urge that you obtain the book. Contact Steve Taylor or any of the authors. Steve and the authors are highly visible and well known in Australia and certain circles in the US.

The book IS the guide for anything related to Ted Eldridge and his Porpoise regulator.

SDM

kiwidiver
Lung Diver

Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 pm

My copy of The "Porpoise;" Australian Diving Technology The World Copied. just landed on my desk. Big challenge now is to resist reading it and not get any work done today. Thanks for the tip 21, great book.
If anyone else is interested i got it from Oceans Enterprises, they had it in stock, great service too.
http://www.oceans.com.au/

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Kiwi Diver,

The yellow hose on your late model Porpoise Universal is rare, but it is original. The civilian models were made that way when La Spirotechnique owned Breathing Appliances (renamed it Australian Divers Spiro). I have a modest collection now, but one of my Porpoise regulators looks just like yours. Porpoise regulators were originally intended to be used on inverted tanks. That's why the hoses are so long. The regulators had neck straps because with the long hose and inverted tanks, they would fall a long way if the diver dropped it from his mouth. The strap was not intended to go over the head and hold it in the diver's mouth.

The inverted tanks were not specifically made for Porpoise, they were just sold to them so the valves were not really suitable for inverted use. The valve spindles often bent when divers impacted them on rocks or other obstacles in the water or when just taking them off. However, when the Spirotechnique take over occurred, steel 72 and aluminum tanks were offered and they were intended to be used upright and shorter hoses became available. They are finger tight installed, so anyone could switch them over. Don't change out your yellow hose, cherish it.

Your Porpoise demand valve has a purge button and a colorful label, typical of the civilian models. So the yellow hose is correct for that regulator. Military model hoses remained black and the demand valve did not have a purge button. Military Porpoises did not have a label but were stamped "Porpoise".

One further comment before you fall asleep with my wordy comment... single hose regulators were not called that originally. They were referred to as; "mouth piece regulators". Steve

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Some more information on your Porpoise Universal:

The Universal reduction valve was Ted Eldred's 1954 masterpiece. It flows 300 liters per minute. The demand valve is an upstream venturi jet model. The regulator scared people when they were trying it out in the stores, so they had to start advertising that it's flow was intended to meet the needs of a hard working or even panicky diver. When tried out of the water, it almost seemed violent.

When you try it out on the surface,it might seem a bit jerky to breathe. If you suddenly inhale, it will blast air into you, so be gentle.

There were several variations on the Universal theme. Early ones were diaphragm with a bull nose air fitting. Later they changed to a piston and finally a yoke was added. The RAN version does not have a label or a purge button. There are O ring inside the hose connections and they are made to be finger tight and can be removed to change hoses, or used as a hookah. The upstream valve is best suited for hookah use and 75% of theses demand valves we commercially used as hookah.

The Universal was also sold with the light weight Sportsman demand valve and called the Explorer.

dobsong
First Name: Graeme

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:59 pm

kiwidiver wrote:Here are some pics of a nice Porpoise Universal I have just picked up. All the rubber bits are in good shape, had a quick peak at the diaphragm and it is nice and soft. unfortunately it seems that the LP hose has been replaced by gluing a new hose into the original end fittings!!
This one is obviously one of the later models as it has a purge button and the Australian Divers Spiro label so it is after L'Air Liquide bought out Teds business. I am hoping YankDownUnder might be able to give some more info on this particular model as the others I have seen have (on the net and actually) been pre Spiro.

Thanks for these pictures, they bought back a few good memories of diving courses with the Australian Army in Williamstown using the Porpoise with twin steel tanks in the early 1970s... Compared to the later US Divers gear the Porpoise was somewhat basic the main issue being clearing - as a result saltwater aspiration was not uncommon

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”