couv
Master Diver

Re: Scubapro 109

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Have you remembered to change the spring as well? The duro poppet and balanced poppet use different springs. Also, if you have not done so already, go to the manuals and catalog section and download the file "ScubaPro poppet changes." Just looking at some of the pictures of the cutaways can be very helpful.

If you're still having issues after that, how about posting a picture of all the guts in the air barrel and we may be able to spot the area of difficulty.

Good luck.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

mrlscuba
First Name: Mark

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:23 pm

The original (factory) poppet spring and the Duropoppet spring are the same part, I believe, but the balanced adjustable conversion has a smaller spring retained in the body (stem) of the poppet. I installed the bal/adjust conversion poppet in the air barrel then screw in the adjustment knob, but I get free flow, I tried replacing the volcano orifice in case it was nicked, still no luck.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Please post a photo of the conversion parts you are using.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Are you sure it actually is a freeflow (ie- seat leaking)? A defective or missing balance chamber oring or damaged poppet will also allow air into the reg which would look like a freeflow,
Herman

mrlscuba
First Name: Mark

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm using the balance adjustable conversion kit from VDH, at work now, will post a photo tomorrow.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:02 am

are you sure you don't have the poppet in upside-down? The feet will engage it, but not in such a way to make it seat properly....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Pulled this 109 out of the lds garbage pile. The can is rough, but it looks savable. Will the vdh ballance kit for 40$ work on this reg? Also, I can't get the link to work at the top of this feed on the different poppets. Probably my phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:02 pm

tripplec wrote:Pulled this 109 out of the lds garbage pile. The can is rough, but it looks savable. Will the vdh ballance kit for 40$ work on this reg? Also, I can't get the link to work at the top of this feed on the different poppets. Probably my phone.
I fixed the broken link.

This is another option to update the 109 that is more inexpensive.

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/D ... p/75456078
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks Byan. So the ballance kit should directly replace what I have if im reading corectly. But the way you said "This is another option to update the 109 that is more inexpensive", do you generaly not recomend the ballanced option with more moving parts? Im intending this reg to be on my pony bottle on cold deep dives. The one Im using now is my titan II, and it works fine. So would the ballance make any "noticeable" difference over the $20 duro poppet?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:15 pm

The duro poppet will work fine in my opinion.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:41 pm

probably "better than fine". There are countless threads regarding the upgrade of a 109 to a 156 with the S-Wing poppet where things just aren't quite right. Trial & error with additional levers or Herman's lever tool comes into play, and it can be quite annoying. Other times, it is just a simple swap out. You never know...

The 109 is an excellent regulator, and, truth be told, most folks likely couldn't tell the difference breathing a 109 or a 156.

Since you are putting it on a pony, it's use is essentially "get me out of here". No need for a balanced second for that.

YMMV
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

couv
Master Diver

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 pm

I concur with the gentlemen from NY and FL. No reason to upgrade the 109 to BA unless it will become a primary of primaries- especially if it's already hooked up to a balanced first stage.

The lever in your picture should be compatible with the duro poppet. However as RH mentioned, it might be in need of adjustment. On that other board we discussed a similar issue where I posted pictures of Herman's lever height tool, correct lever height, etc. See this link:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... st-7877254

If it turns out your lever needs adjusting, let me know. For the price of shipping I can send you one I've already adjusted or sell you a fancy one.

Edit: It might just be my cheap monitor's resolution, but the orifice in the picture looks a bit rough. While there are ways of dressing it up, why not spend a few of the bucks you saved and purchase a new orifice now offered by Bryan? http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/S ... p/75284295
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:30 pm

If you need to update to a Duro poppet I think this is the best choice....JMO

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/D ... p/75456078

couv
Master Diver

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Ah.....I see. That kit come WITH a poppet, seat, seals, screws, and orifice. Nice.

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:37 pm

I have the duro kit on order along with the 108 kit. Love the part about using the regulator savvy as a measuring tool.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”