Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Scubapro 109

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:03 am

With the help of the Scubapro nuts at SB I put together this brief on the differences in poppet assemblies found in the 109 2nd stage. Hopefully this will help you when servicing your regulator.

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Re: Scubapro 109

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks for that link Bryan. I just put mine together last weekend with the kit I got from the store. Any advice on adjustment without an inline tool? I think I have it ball park through trial and error. I backed adjusting knob all the way out and adjusted orfice until lever was at max height. Havent had it in water yet.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:50 pm

I am searching....Scuba Tools told me I could use portions of Regulator Savvy for doing presentations, discussions or on a power point but I could not reproduce or distribute the info....I think I have the Scubapro procedures from their service manual that I can scan and share...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Go here and get two PDF documents

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.a ... 6074baa867

1. 109 2nd stage principals
2. 109 adjustment principals

They are actually scans of the G250 but it adjust the same.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Very helpfull. I have regulator saavy, it's a great resource. I was hoping to thre was a trick to adjusting orfice while not pressureized, but I think that is the only way to get it right. Looks like I may have to take advantage of tool rental sometime soon.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm

I have done it for many years without the in line tool and it is just a matter of a bit of patience and some small incremental adjustments.

Just remember to always press the purge button while you are turning the volcano orifice. If you don’t, you will cut the soft seat.

It seams tedious at first since you have to depressurize the regulator and disconnect the hose for every adjustment, but with a bit of experience it goes fairly quickly.

I actually own two different types of in line adjustment tools and I often prefer to do it the old fashion way. I just have enough experience doing it without the tool that I have a good feel of where it needs to be. The tool can speed up the process, but in my experience with the tool it is to easy to adjusted right on the edge of a free flow and not anticipate the required break-in… then it starts leaking after a few dives. Doing it the old fashion way I can more easily set it to compensate for the break in just by feel.

Professionally (with a time/ efficiency consideration) the tool is a must, but a bit of patience and while being careful will get you there.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 pm

EHowe wrote:Very helpfull. I have regulator saavy, it's a great resource. I was hoping to thre was a trick to adjusting orfice while not pressureized, but I think that is the only way to get it right. Looks like I may have to take advantage of tool rental sometime soon.
It's about as unprofessional a method as you can get but I blow into second stages until they stop allowing air to pass then a little more as a starting point. It gets me in the ballpark fairly quickly with a minimal amount of on and off. Also remember, there is no need to tighten the hose more than finger tight when doing testing.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Scuba Max is a new vendor for me and they carry a basic in line adjustment tool. First orders with a new company are killer on the wallet but I'll see if I can have some in the store before Christmas.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Herman wrote:
EHowe wrote:Very helpfull. I have regulator saavy, it's a great resource. I was hoping to thre was a trick to adjusting orfice while not pressureized, but I think that is the only way to get it right. Looks like I may have to take advantage of tool rental sometime soon.
It's about as unprofessional a method as you can get but I blow into second stages until they stop allowing air to pass then a little more as a starting point. It gets me in the ballpark fairly quickly with a minimal amount of on and off. Also remember, there is no need to tighten the hose more than finger tight when doing testing.
I remember reading about this technique on SB from some of the usual suspects, and its what I ended up doing as well for my 109s :D

As an aside, since the topic of poppets has been addressed, perhaps a short PDF about the levers could be included based on the thread about them before (I know Luis posted a link to it somewhere).

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 pm

I just do it " the little bit at a time" method. But today, actually, one of my 109s was just giving me fits so I took it to the retail store I support with cash sometimes and he allowed me to use his inline tool. Wow, so easy. Turned out the LP seat was defective despite being new.

Now the 109 is happy and so am I and as homage to the store owner I walked out with a SP Frameless mask. Gotta help the guy out, he helped me, :wink:

James

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 pm

If your LDS supports you then you should support them. Can't buy air over the net....

BUT, if MJ wants a frameless mask please look me up :wink:

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/index. ... t=14110485

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 am

Bryan wrote:If your LDS supports you then you should support them. Can't buy air over the net....

Oh, dang it! Nice mask and I like the flat color. Well, he does a lot more for me than air, he is usually able to get me the occasional rebuild kit etc. and other favors.

I am sold on the inline tool though, it makes a normally simple operation completely simple-er. :mrgreen: Put me down for one if you get them in please.

James

awap45
First Name: Gary

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:45 am

Another option that will insure best cracking pressure is to give the user adjustment knob a half turn in before you make the orifice adjustment. It does mean you have to fiddle more with the user adjustment, like dialing it down a little during set-up. But you can then adjust it for best performance anytime during the dive.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Nemrod wrote:
Bryan wrote:If your LDS supports you then you should support them. Can't buy air over the net....

Oh, dang it! Nice mask and I like the flat color. Well, he does a lot more for me than air, he is usually able to get me the occasional rebuild kit etc. and other favors.

I am sold on the inline tool though, it makes a normally simple operation completely simple-er. :mrgreen: Put me down for one if you get them in please.

James
This tool is so cool now that I have mine from vdh. Repeating myself, what was a PITA is now simple(er). :D

Nem

mrlscuba
First Name: Mark

Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Having a bit of trouble getting some old Mark 109s converted using the balanced poppet kit. I can replace the original poppets with the durometer poppet and get the second stage to work perfectly, but when I install the balanced poppet it free flows no matter how I adjust the volcano orifice. I worked in a Scubapro dive shop while going to college (a long time ago), and was factory trained on the Mk 5/7 series regulators. Any suggestions. Thanks

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”