EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Hermans 2nd stage adjustment tool

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:44 pm

This is a question for Herman I suppose, but if anyone else would like to chime in thats ok too. I was looking at the new tool, but none of my conshelfs have a removeable plug to access the screw. I bent a small flatblade screwdriver to hold poppet, but twice now broke off one side. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen (or could make) a tool with a flexable shaft like they used to use for cabrb/points adjusters if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Hermans 2nd stage adjustment tool

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Hummm, let me scratch my head and other assorted body parts and see if I can come up with something....I hate those things too...
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Couple of thing will work

1. Castle nut tool is used for adjusting the poppet. I know they can be ordered from Trident and or Kirby Morgan sells a whole tool kit for servicing their 2nd stage which were 99% USD Conshelf in the early years.

2. Scuba Tools part # 20-220-100 Aqua Lung Poppet driver is an excellent tool if you do a lot of 2nd stage work....Saves a lot of lost springs and other flying objects.

3. Flex shaft extensions are still around.
http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Extensio ... B00129IG7W
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ebj
Lung Diver

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm

I'll second Bryan's recommendation of the scuba tools Aqua Lung Poppet driver. I use one, and it makes installation really simple. You can then adjust the nut with a small box end wrench and not mess with a bent screwdriver.
Ernie

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:34 pm

I was actually thinking of a tool I could use to fine tune while the second stage was pressurized. I made a tool that I was able to hold the poppet stationary while I adjusted the locknut, but it has to be done from the seat side. It was trial and error. Assemble hard seat, hose pressurize test take apart adjust reassemble repeat. I got everything to work good, just a PITA. looking for an easier way.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”