EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Conshelf enviromental fluid

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Is DOT 5 brake fluid A sutible fluid for enviromental seal on a conshelf supreme?

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Re: Conshelf enviromental fluid

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:10 pm

I have always been a fan of food service silicone oil. It is sold in pint sized bottles at most restaurant supply stores.

EHowe
Master Diver

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I went to the parts store and read the dot 5 label. Too many warnings.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:08 am

Wrist Depth Gauges
by captain » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:37 am

Because mineral oil is hydrocarbon based there is the possibility over time it will soften paint.
Common glycol based brake fluid will remove paint but silicone based fluid will not. That is why motorcycles mostly use silicone fluid because of the possibility it is spilled on painted surfaces. Its down side as a brake fluid is that it has a lower tolerance for heat so it is not recommenced for high performance driving such as road racing that may require heavy brake use.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

crimediver
Master Diver

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:04 am

I needed to adjust the IP on a Conshelf Supreme last year when I was on the road. I ended using a shot of Captain Morgan to replace the silicone.

The Captain Morgan is working okay except for one slight drawback. I have noticed that I end up having to frog kick instead of flutter kicking when diving because the Captain Morgan causes my leg to draw up in a funny position. And the next morning after diving the reg I have a a headache terrible headache when I get up. Your results may vary.

EHowe
Master Diver

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:12 am

Bryan wrote:Wrist Depth Gauges
by captain » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:37 am

Because mineral oil is hydrocarbon based there is the possibility over time it will soften paint.
Common glycol based brake fluid will remove paint but silicone based fluid will not. That is why motorcycles mostly use silicone fluid because of the possibility it is spilled on painted surfaces. Its down side as a brake fluid is that it has a lower tolerance for heat so it is not recommenced for high performance driving such as road racing that may require heavy brake use.

I was more worried about the toxicity. And the list of chemicals other than silicone, with first aid procedures for contact with skin eyes ect. rather not take the chance.

EHowe
Master Diver

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:16 am

crimediver wrote:I needed to adjust the IP on a Conshelf Supreme last year when I was on the road. I ended using a shot of Captain Morgan to replace the silicone.

The Captain Morgan is working okay except for one slight drawback. I have noticed that I end up having to frog kick instead of flutter kicking when diving because the Captain Morgan causes my leg to draw up in a funny position. And the next morning after diving the reg I have a a headache terrible headache when I get up. Your results may vary.

Maybe better if you added a mixer like coke?... a cola that is :)

Robohips77
Master Diver

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:52 pm

I just recycled some USD silicone environmental fluid about two weeks ago. But in the past I have used vodka in all of my environmental kits on my poseidon regs. Really that is what I used...vodka. Worked out fine but once the dives were completed I always dumped the vodka out and cleaned the reg. No JIM I did not try to drink it underwater :shock: I waited till I surfaced. :P
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 pm

True - It really is hard to drink underwater...

-Geoff

EHowe
Master Diver

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 pm

I decided on RV antifreeze used to winterise water systems before winter storage. Glycol based, biodegradable & food safe.

jbrians
Lung Diver

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 pm

It was suggested a year or so back that I could use mineral oil. Not a good idea though.
the rubber, outer seal has degraded and ruptured.
What are the chances of finding a replacement?

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:58 pm

jbrians wrote:It was suggested a year or so back that I could use mineral oil. Not a good idea though.
the rubber, outer seal has degraded and ruptured.
What are the chances of finding a replacement?
Out of curiosity, where was this suggested? I don't think I can recall any suggestion such as this without it being called upon.

Six2Life
First Name: Robert

Thu May 03, 2012 10:37 am

Drado wrote:Out of curiosity, where was this suggested? I don't think I can recall any suggestion such as this without it being called upon.
Probably here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vintag ... -regs.html

I spent about two hours searching the internet and calling restaurant supply places for silicone fluid without much luck. The best I could find was 2 ebay listings for fluid of improper or unknown viscosity. Although, most any viscosity would probably work short of grease.

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

I know that Grainger used to carry food service silicone oil by the five gallon bucket. That would most certainly be over kill.

oldschoolto
First Name: james

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:05 pm

I getting ready to overhaul my conshelf XIV supreme and can't seem to find food grade environmental fluid.... But started thinking :idea: Silicone astroglide personal lube.. :roll: Safe for rubber/latex , and safe to ingest.... easy to get and not that much money.. What do you think...

Jim...

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”