Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Conshelf XIV VDH kit review

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi all,

I was afforded the chance to install and test one of VDH's first conshelf rebuild kits in my 1978 conshelf XIV. I just want to pass on my observations:

-The first stage seat is not the factory seat. It does, however, hold IP like a champ. I ran 150 PSI through it for testing with no issues at all. I have since set my IP to 145 PSI, and the regulator sings to me, sometimes in Italian.

-The exhaust valves for the second stage, which are available for an additional cost over the price of the rebuild kit, are also top notch. They are reinforced silicone with a snug fit. I got no water in my second stages. The are far superior to the rubber ones that used to come in USD regulators, and more reinforced than the yellow silicone exhaust valves from the 70's. They are clearly superior in my opinion.

-The included spring block o-ring and backup ring seat up every bit as snugly as the factory pieces. You literally cannot tell them apart. The action of the mechanism is as smooth as butter with a little tribolube.

My overall impression is that this is a dead ringer for the factory kit. You can tell that the parts are not factory, but the fit, finish, response, IP recovery, lockup pressure, lack of creep, and general feel is 100% factory. The bottom line is that I will be using these kits in all of my conshelf regulators.

Well done!
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Re: Conshelf XIV VDH kit review

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:14 pm

slonda828 wrote:I have since set my IP to 145 PSI, and the regulator sings to me, sometimes in Italian
Is anything else talking to you, the wall, the dog next door, perhaps the Mother Ship?

Good news about the kits, I have 4 Conshelf regs and one of them hasn’t been opened since Regan was in Office.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”