SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Voit 40 Fathom Rebuild

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 pm

I have my Dad's original Voit 40 Fathom single hose regulator and am wondering if this is re-buildable? I think I'd rather have it done by an expert than do it myself. From family history and pictures in the VDH catalog files it looks like a 1961 model.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: Voit 40 Fathom Rebuild

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:33 pm

If it can be done Greg Barlow can do it.

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:55 am

A little late answering (have been away from the forum for a while), but the 40 Fathom is very rebuildable. I have both the 1960 early model and the 1961 second model, and both are 100 per cent rebuilt.
The early model is a hard breather (uses a funky pivoting lever and horseshoe system), but the late model breathes like a dream. In fact, it breathes as well, and possibly better than my early model MR12. The HP seats are hard to find, but the old one can often be resurfaced.
If you haven't rebuilt yours yet, PM me for more information..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Capn Tucker,
- I'm sorry I missed checking back to this thread when you posted it. I had given up after reaching several dead ends. Then just recently, I happened upon that thread about the Calypso 2nd stage and found out about rebuilding the diaphragm. I was just about to post a thank you there and thought to check back at this original thread... And found your post just this morning.
- Thanks so much. Yes, I would dearly appreciate any information you could give me on re-building my Voit 40 Fathom. It was my Dad's first regulator, purchased in 1961, I think. He learned to dive with it and he taught me to dive with it. He's passed away now and I'd like to use this mouthpiece as the Octo on the DA Aquamaster Dad gave me when I was in High School... And which is now re-built into a Phoenix.
- I have the original diaphragm with the metal purge valve holder in the middle. As I understand, I can make a new diaphragm by incorporating the metal part into a silicon Conshelf diaphragm and adding a new purge valve? I sent you a PM and I'd sure appreciate your advice.
- Thanks again... I will look forward to hearing from you - Eben
SurfLung

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 am

The 40 Fathom is a great little regulator. I've been diving mine every chance I get. IMO it out-breathes early MR12s. You can even suck it into a free-flow. The only other reg I have that will do that is the MR12-III. The trick is having the HP seat polished really well. Antique Diver rebuilt mine; you will want to consult with him on your rebuild.
He is the guru of the Aquamatic regulator family.
Yes, you can fabricate a new diaphragm as long as you have the metal purge valve holder.
I was lucky to find an NOS Voit diaphragm for mine. But I also have a repro one in my other 40 Fathom. Good luck with your project; it will be cool to see another 40 Fathom brought back from the great beyond.. :)
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

SurfLung
Master Diver

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:39 pm

For Comparison with the Calypso DiaphragmImage
- This is a photo of the front can of my Dad's Voit 40 Fathom VCR-1 regulator. You can see the diaphragm looks identical to the one shown with the "Calypso Second Stage" posting. I ordered the Conshelf diaphragm from VDH and 26mm purge valve. I'll post pictures of the re-constructed VCR-1 diaphragm when I'm done.
- I have a question: With the front can and diaphragm off, the lever is exposed. I hooked the first stage up to a tank and gently turned on the air. No leaks or blowouts occurred. I pressed on the lever a few times and it fed air fine. I'm wondering if I really need to re-build the rest of this regulator if all it needs to work properly is a new diaphragm?
SurfLung

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:04 am

Just my opinion but since that seat (second stage) is at least 50 yo, it has to be hard with a bad set in it. If I went to the trouble of making a new diaphragm and intended to dive it anywhere other than a pool, I would replace the seat as well. Looking at the parts breakdown, it does not appear to have a replacable seat but odds are it can be or it can be modified to accept one...or one made.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:27 am

I have a couple of new, old stock seat assemblies if you decide to tear into the first stage, and it won't re-seat for you. On the other hand it sometimes takes a while to get a new seat broken in and sealing properly, so replacing yours can be a mixed blessing. The nut on the threaded stem of the seat carrier is staked on, and can destroy the male threads if you are not extremely careful getting it off. If it won't turn fairly easily you may have to carefully cut it off... and that can also damage the threads. I think that the #5 nut is available at VDH, and needs to be secured with locktite or similar upon reassembly. I wouldn't stake it.

Did you try yours on a full 2250 psi cylinder or at lower pressure? It's a "downstream" first stage, so it seals tighter at lower pressures and may leak a little if it gets too high.

I am sticking my neck out here against conventional wisdom, but since there is no soft material to come apart, I am sort of inclined to leave a working seat in place if the first stage body looks clean inside, and the seat seals at full pressure of 2250-2500. You can remove the filter and take the hose off to see what the inside looks like. Also, leaving the main body assembled, you can remove the diaphram retainer end and diaphragm to inspect it and the levers that work the seat. Doing this shouldn't disturb the hp seat. Another word about removing the hose - I have seen more than one hose adapter break off in the body, so be careful if it won't unscrew with moderate torque. You could end up without a usable first stage.

Good luck with your 40... it's fun to dive with.
The older I get the better I was.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am

Surflung,

I've been inspired by Slonda's post on how he rebuilt a Calupso Diaphragm, probably the same parts for your Voit. Here's the thread, although it's likely you've already seen it:

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... =17&t=6016

Good luck with the rebuild, I'm looking forward to some underwater pics of you and your Dad's reg.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:48 pm

- Thanks Herman, Antique, and Sitka... I appreciate your ideas, advice, and opinions. Originally, I was thinking to just fix up the second stage and use it for a vintage octopus with my Phoenix. But leaving it intact as a complete, original regulator seems more responsible. Intact it is a complete something. Split up it would be half of nothing... If that makes any sense.
- I think I'll take this in stages. If I can make a good diaphragm and get it breathing fine with a 2200-2500 psi tank. I may just leave it that way and shallow dive it once in awhile for the sake of Dad's memory. The tank I tested it on was that little one I did up in Voit colors... It was full at 1800 psi for the regulator test. I didn't know this was a downstream mechanism! Neat!
- If the 22-2500 psi tank pressure gives problems, then maybe I'll try a rebuild. I'm seeing that this doesn't have a readily available parts like my DAAMs and Mistrals... And if I break it taking it apart, it may not be recoverable.
- Sitka, I have the book, "The World Without Sun"... And several of the photos of the divers constructing the underwater house show them using your Calypso regulator!
SurfLung

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:02 pm

I wonder if I could ask a favor. When you dissamble the diaphragm and have the metal section removed, would you put it (metal piece) on a copy machine and photo copy it? I have an idea for making one and would like a to have a actual sized "drawing" of it to work from. I will be happy to pay for the photocopy and mail charges.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Herman wrote:I wonder if I could ask a favor. When you dissamble the diaphragm and have the metal section removed, would you put it (metal piece) on a copy machine and photo copy it? I have an idea for making one and would like a to have a actual sized "drawing" of it to work from. I will be happy to pay for the photocopy and mail charges.
I already have a loose one from an Aquamatic diaphragm. Since the plate has the same dimensions as the Calypso plate I have interchanged them when needed. If that would help, I will be glad to copy it and send to you. This one will be going on a freshly made Aquamatic diaphragm. Email a mailing address and the copy can go out tomorrow.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm

antique diver wrote:
Herman wrote:I wonder if I could ask a favor. When you dissamble the diaphragm and have the metal section removed, would you put it (metal piece) on a copy machine and photo copy it? I have an idea for making one and would like a to have a actual sized "drawing" of it to work from. I will be happy to pay for the photocopy and mail charges.
I already have a loose one from an Aquamatic diaphragm. Since the plate has the same dimensions as the Calypso plate I have interchanged them when needed. If that would help, I will be glad to copy it and send to you. This one will be going on a freshly made Aquamatic diaphragm. Email a mailing address and the copy can go out tomorrow.
Perfect. I just want to make sure I have an accurate example, both from style and dimension perspectives. I understand the diaphragm is the same diameter as the Conshelf, can you verify that?
PM on the way with the info.
Herman

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Herman wrote: .... I just want to make sure I have an accurate example, both from style and dimension perspectives. I understand the diaphragm is the same diameter as the Conshelf, can you verify that?
PM on the way with the info.
Yes, the rubber part of the diaphragm is identical in size and shape to the newer Conshelf and other regs that share that same body. I have done the conversion that Ron describes. Also, I have a NOS silicone diaphragms if you can't find some locally.

BTW, I don't think I am set up for the PM's cause I always forgot to check them them... but you can use my email icon for prompt communications.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Update: I tried the 40 Fathom on my Sportsways 72 cf steel tank. Gauge read 2100 psi and the 40 Fathom seemed to work fine except for the lack of a diaphragm. So, if I can make a decent diaphragm, I might leave the rest alone.
SurfLung

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”