Long Awaited Follow Up/Update...
- I think I mentioned that I hated the original Voit first stage because it constantly stuck out and hit me in the back of the head when my Dad let me dive near the dock with his full size Voit 72 cf tank... Back in 1961-62 ( I was in 2nd-3rd grade). So when I finally got a good diaphragm and exhaust valve, I tried it out with a Conshelf 1st stage (above). It worked, but not very well. Kind of catchy breathing. Later I discovered I had the top of the Conshelf unscrewed by a turn or more... (screwing up the IP?). But I wasn't happy with it anyway and just got tired of messing with it.
- But last weekend I finally got the Voit 40 Fathom working PERFECTLY. Rich (50,001 Questions) and I tried it out last weekend at our monthly pool dive and were both amazed at how well it worked. It breathed easily and smoothly. Rich said it was breathing easier than his Snark III. I had it adjusted pretty sensitive when I put it together. And so it not only breathed easy, it free flowed easy when you took it out of your mouth. BUT, the free flow turned off quick by turning the mouthpiece down or putting it back in your mouth. Anyway, here are the things that brought the project together (finally).
The Big Break-Throughs That Made This Possible:
1. I found an original 40 Fathom diaphragm on Ebay advertised by Herman.919. It was flexible like new and had the exhaust hardware in the middle to accept a mushroom valve.
2. I found the proper mushroom valve in the VDH store for sale online (I just bought all of them) and one of them fit perfectly.
3. And finally, I swapped out the original first stage and installed a later generation Voit Swimaster first stage.
- I didn't do anything to this first stage. Just screwed it onto the hose with the 40 Fathom 2nd stage and took it diving. Worked perfect.
We put a good hour of use on this regulator and were both impressed at how well it worked.
BTW - Does anyone else notice the original free Photobucket photos are visible again in this post?