Jimmer

Pony Bottle regs?

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:03 pm

So for those of you vintage divers, that do carry a pony bottle, what regs are you using on it? I'm in the middle of setting up a nice vintage kit for this summer and thought a pony bottle would be a good addition as I often dive solo in the great lakes. My normal pony reg is a modern Zeagle reg, but I have a set of Dacor 360 with XLE second stages I could use (not true vintage I know, but still chromed brass). I also have a Conshelf Supreme second stage, that would be really sweet if I manage to find a first stage for it.

So what are you guys using?

Jim

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Re: Pony Bottle regs?

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Soon a SP Mk5/109 (after I order an spg adaptor from Bryan). Currently I use the 109 on a modern SP 1st stage. I like how it breathes and the fact that I can detune it to reduce freeflows. Like you, a coldwater solo diver.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 pm

I use a Dacor Olympic 400 Polar. This reg has a cold water kit installed on it. Good solid metal second stage too. It's been under ice, on wrecks as deep as 165 feet and I also use it for various Dive rescue stuff. 0 viz harbor dives and stuff like that. I also use a Poseidon Super Cyclon on occasion too. Another rock solid reg.

Jim

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Conshelf XI or XII
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Jimmer wrote:So for those of you vintage divers, that do carry a pony bottle, what regs are you using on it? I'm in the middle of setting up a nice vintage kit for this summer and thought a pony bottle would be a good addition as I often dive solo in the great lakes. My normal pony reg is a modern Zeagle reg, but I have a set of Dacor 360 with XLE second stages I could use (not true vintage I know, but still chromed brass). I also have a Conshelf Supreme second stage, that would be really sweet if I manage to find a first stage for it.

So what are you guys using?

Jim
I usually use a 1960's single hose reg on my little steel vintage dated pony. I've got several I like, but an old original Voit MR12 is usually my preference. I also like the early 60's USD Calypso (with the exhaust valve in the lp diaphragm), and use it with the original equipment stem gauge in the hp port.
The older I get the better I was.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:12 pm

When I use a spare bottle for decompression dives, I hang it off of the anchor line. It usually gets something from around when the gear that I am using was made. That usually makes it a MR-12, a conshelf VI, or a hydrolung supreme. You can always hang a double hose as well. I don't carry a bottle like a modern diver would sling it. Anywhere I dive in the ocean in either a beach dive which isn't deep enough to warrant a complete redundant SCUBA, or a boat dive which means that there is an anchor line. I run a reel from the anchor line, and follow it back to get to the line for my hang time. For no D profiles my buddy is my backup. I think for a lot of us not carrying a lot of extra stuff is sort of part of the fun of it, so you might not get a whole lot of responses, though admittedly how you choose to dive is entirely up to you. YMMV.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”