YankDownUnder
Master Diver

The Rarest Challenge

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 am

What one considers the rarest vintage regulator depends on the basis for comparison. I have often thought about buying a CG45, if only I could find one for sale. They are few and far between, but I have seen a number of them mentioned here. One SCUBA I have not seen here is the rare Porpoise CA-2.(CA was for compressed air, and 2 for two tanks) It is the earliest commercially produced single hose SCUBA, and was made specifically for two tanks. It came with a cap for one air inlet, so it was possible to use on one tank, if needed. This was made before the idea developed for using using a manifold. The inventor knew of the CG-45 but had never seen one, so his designs were unique. The CA-2 has a reserve handle on the regulator. This one has valves stamped 1953 and the tanks were imported to be used with these Australian regulators.

The regulator was made to fit between two German IWK 50 cu ft tanks. The connections used were the bull nose fitting, like those used today on welding reduction valves. I know of two of these, mine and one in an Australian dive shop. This model is one of 12,000 Porpoise regulators made, and there are two of this model. So here's my question, or perhaps my challenge. Does anyone know of a rarer regulator?

Students in 1954 using the early Porpoises at the Melbourne City Baths, site of the first SCUBA school to use single hose regulators.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: The Rarest Challenge

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Well, if you are including any reg, not just single hose regs? The Biosystems and the Mares Air King come to mind and are definately more rare IMO. Another would be the DESCO.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Yank,

Have you used the CA-2? If so, how does it dive? I am absolutely fascinated by the design.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:15 am

Diving the CA-2 is fine. The first stage could be bottomed out with heavy breathing and the Universal replaced it. That is the one fitted to the single tank. They have the same second stage.

You have to be a bit careful with the Universal as it could really blow you up. They actually had an ad which cautioned people not to be put off by the feel trying at the dive shop. The demand valve had a venturi and it can scare you if you take a sudden first deep breath.

There are only two of this CA-2 models still existing. The other Porpoises are much more plentiful, and we know of about 45 of them. I have 7. There are three in the USA and one in the UK. Of course there could be more.

JAdair
Lung Diver

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 am

Watergill came out with this one in '77, and Seapro continued its production for a year or two but they removed its ability to inflate the At-Pac when the diver stopped breathing. I have a Seapro model, I know of one owned by another collector and I did see one at a flea market years ago but don’t know if either of those are the original Watergill version. I have not seen any show up on Ebay other than the one I bought and that was quite a few years ago. So I would say that an original Watergill version is pretty rare even being produced in 77.

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:36 pm

I consider a Porpiose more rare than a CG45. I have the impression they made many more CG45s than Porpoise regs. Maybe that is because I am in the USA. I consider a Black label or Spaco more rare than a CG45. Some among the last two is a GC42.

Maybe the real way to deside would be to ask would you trade the Porpoise for a CG45, or vice versa?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:52 am

eskimo3883 wrote: Maybe the real way to deside would be to ask would you trade the Porpoise for a CG45, or vice versa?
I would and my Mom and her family are from Melbourne.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

scaph
Master Diver

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:42 am

I consider a Porpiose more rare than a CG45. I have the impression they made many more CG45s than Porpoise regs.
I consider a Black label or Spaco more rare than a CG45
Totally agree with you....

But, I have 2 others regs that are quiet rare :roll:
Well, in fact, I own only the second, the first is the property of Aqualung :D

Only 2 of this one are still known...how many were produced....?

I own this one, and only 24 or 27 (can't remember) were produced...

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 am

Would I trade a Porpoise for a CG-45?

I suppose that depends on how many Porpoises you have, not so much as how rare they are. I have 7 Porpoises and not a single CG-45s, so I would trade away one.

I grew up with my friends using Porpoises while I was a double hose fan and dived a Heinke Mk III. Steve

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 am

Scaph, Is that first one the original Cousteau - Gagnon demand valve regulator?
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Sniox
Master Diver

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:59 pm

I think that naming the rarest regulator is difficult, but I will present some rare Scandinavian regulators.
B.t.w. talking about the CG45 as rare needs to be defined, maybe Eric can tell if it is the big label or the military CG45 that is the rarest :?:
The square Cousteau Gagnan regulator is so sweet, thank you for sharing Eric :)
A friend of mine got a copy of the drawings for the square Cousteau Gagnan regulator in the beginning of the fifties (and I got a good lead in finding the drawings , stay tuned :wink: ). Afterwards he manufactured two dive able replicas, but booth was stolen some years ago :( The father of my friend was a U.S. naval officer during WWII, and on one of the fathers post war journeys to the U.S. he got this rare CG45 / Nemrod to replace my friends home made regulator :D
1952 Ingmar Elfström pre Aqua Sport Prototype
One made
One known
1954 – 57 Swedish Diving Club: “Poseidon” (Pre Aqua Sport) Senior
Numbers made: 25
Two known
1958 Aqua Sport Senior
Numbers made?
Two known
1958 Aqua Sport Junior
Numbers made?
Four known
1956 Danish single stage balanced HGO prototype
One made
One known
1957 Danish single stage balanced HGO
Numbers made: 18
One known
1959 Danish Sea Horse
Numbers made: 10
Three known
1960 Danish Villy Arp
Model I
Numbers made?
Four known
Model III
A Series
Numbers made?
Two known
B Series
Numbers made?
No known examples

C Series
Numbers made?
Two known

Best regards

Niels
"Life could be worse . . . I could be Sting" Ozzy Osbourne

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:59 pm

We have another entry to the rarest challenge.

This is a 1956 Australian SCUBMATIC. Of course there may be more and someone on VDH may have a crate full of these. I have one in diving order and I was told that there are only two known in Australia where they were made, in the 1950's.

This was a lucky find in two parts. A friend gave me the second stage and when I asked another collector, he said he had one and a spare first stage. A few minutes with a wrench and it works just fine. The connection is a reverse air fitting, metal to metal and I use it with twin 26 cu ft tanks.

In March there is a large dive show in Sydney called OzTek. If anyone is coming, HDS SEAP will be displaying early Australian diving gear. Drop by and see us.

Steve

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

This one is a bit more common. I know of about half a dozen. It is Sea Hornets copy of the Dawson Lung, circa 1961 Australia.

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Hello Sniox,

This is a very old post but did you ever find a copy of the drawings for the square Cousteau Gagnan regulator? Was this regulator design the same as the same version used on wood burning cars?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:51 am

I am saying Adair's dingus is the rarest because evidently no one knows what the hell it is and who really made it and when. That qualifies it as RARE in my book. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”