jiguad
Master Diver
First Name: Puff

USD Calypso II

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:45 am

I repost this subject post in "My Old Scuba Item" this week. If someone could give me advises...

I've dive my 1966 Calypso II last Saturday and my first impression diving this regulator are:
when I take a breath I feel a small resistance and the reg have a little whistle. Maybe I can fix this discomfort just adjusting the bushing piston? Maybe the whistle is normal for these reg but this is the first time I dive such regulator and I more use to dive with modern Calypso regulator and I don't have to compare? Anyone help?

Cheers
Jiguad aka Puff

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: USD Calypso II

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Jiguad,

Check for binding between the first stage seat and the bushing (the one with the o-ring in it). I have rebuilt quite a few of these regulators, and sometimes the tolerances are not that great. You may have to take a needle file or a locksmith's file and smooth the first stage seat shaft out a little bit. That whistle that you hear, probably on the inhale, is not supposed to be there. It is usually that seat shaft rubbing on that bushing when it moves to supply your second stage with more air via demand. Another way to narrow it down is to take the second stage off and put an air gun on the first stage. Key the air gun several times. If it still whistles, then you have narrowed down where the noise is coming from to the first stage. If not, then check your lever in your second stage for metal to metal contact. Also, you can check where the second stage diaphragm contacts the demand lever. Sometimes, on the old levers without teflon, they can whistle or squeak on demand. Putting a little oxygen compatible grease on the metal disc of your second stage diaphragm will cure that.

Cheers my friend,

Ron
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

jiguad
Master Diver
First Name: Puff

Re: USD Calypso II

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 am

Hi Ron!
many thanks for your advises! I will check that with a more qualified person than me soon and tell you if it works better.
Cheers
Jiguad aka Puff

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”