Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Conshelf XIV overhaul question

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:49 pm

Isolate it Jack. Swap the second stage, and see if it makes the same noise. If it does, swap the LP hose, and see if it still makes it. Then you know if it's first or second stage. Then we can go from there.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Robohips77
Master Diver

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:08 am

one thought also is ...does the ip return immediately to 140 or does it take a little for it to return to 140. (I know this sounds silly but ) is the tank turned on all the way or is there enough air in the supply source to let the ip rebound in a timely fashion. I have heard that "whooshing noise" on both occasions. Just some thoughts.Roger VF
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:44 pm

I have heard of hoses that the internal construction has failed and collapsed causing strange second stage problems, I can see that also making strange noises as well.
Herman

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 pm

AndyB wrote:At 140 IP inhalation effort was at or just over 1" on the Mag., even after messing with the lever height. I bumped up the IP to just shy of 150 and it is now just over 1/2" of effort. It is within the +- 5 psi of the 140 that the manual calls for so I think I will leave it at that :D
You will most likely experience a free flow with the regulator while in a normal swimming position. This is caused by an issue known as case-geometry-fault. There have been discussions in the past regarding this, and its impact upon tuning single hose regulators. Most of the older second stages cannot handle a cracking effort of less than 1.25" due to the distance from the center of the diaprhagm to the uppermost edge of the exhaust valve (while in various water positions). For example, while vertical, the reg would be stable. This is due to the top edge of the exhaust valve being in deeper water than the center point of the diaphragm. In a normal face angled down, swimming position, the uppermost edge of the exhaust valve is around 1.3" inches higher in the water column than the center of the diaprhagm. This depth difference causes a pressure differential that will typically cause the demand valve to slightly open due to the minor leak from the exhaust valve. This is the reason why manufacturers set a cracking effort range for their particular models.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”