Herman
VDH Moderator

Healthways "Auto-Reserve" What the heck.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:33 pm

I recently got a Healthways first stage with "Auto-Reserve". As best as I can tell this made the reg breath badly until you were low on air when it started to breath even worse. Is that about what it does or am I missing something? I assume it remained in whatever position you chose throughout the dive as opposed to changing its position like is done with a J valve.
Herman

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Healthways "Auto-Reserve" What the heck.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:33 am

Do you have any pictures or schematics of how it looks internally? I'm curious.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Look at page 15 of the 1965 Healthways catalog (in the download section of the board if you don't already have it) . There is a cut away of it. The "Auto Reserve" assembly appears to replace the J valve assembly of the Scuba J. Looks like a really dumb idea to me unless I am missing something.
Herman

ovalis
Master Diver

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:54 pm

It's just a restricted orifice, similar to a US Divers R valve. Sportsways also used this as an option on their regs as well. At least with the Healthways, you had the option of turning the knob and bypassing it.

USdiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:55 pm

What you have is half of the Healthways SCUBAIR-J regulator. It was made from the early through mid 1960s (I believe that the 62-63 editions had the chrome exhaust tees, later models had rubber tees) Not the easiest breathing regulators but they are nearly indestructible. I have a complete one, but it is not working all that well and parts are hard to find.

Oops, guess it's not a SCUBAIR-J. Now that I've seen the diagram, what the hell were they thinking??!! :shock:
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:16 pm

USdiver wrote:.................Oops, guess it's not a SCUBAIR-J. Now that I've seen the diagram, what the hell were they thinking??!! :shock:

My thoughts exactly. Looks to me they took an OK piston reg and made it a lot worse.....oh well, I just wanted the stuff that came with it but sooner or later I will get it back in service......not sure why...
Herman

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”