Gilldiver
Master Diver

Conshelf Changes through the years

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Does anyone have a list or chart that shows how the Conshelf models changes over time?

I ask this as I just picked up what I thought were 2 Conshelf XII for my kids to play around with in the pool, well at least both have Conshelf XII on the Yoke knob.

The first has a 1st stage serial number starting with 74, a Mistral style 4000 psi yoke & nut, 1 HP port and 2 LP ports.

The other has a 1st stage serial number starting with 77, screw on style 4000 psi yoke, 1 HP port and 3 LP ports.

Are these both XII, or is the one with the serial number starting with 77 a new model?
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Conshelf Changes through the years

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:30 pm

For a while USD prefaced the serial number with two digits corresponding to the year model, then a hyphen followed by the actual serial number. Pretty handy way to date those. They didn't start that until sometime in the early 70's if I recall properly, and I don't know when they stopped.
The older I get the better I was.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Based on an exceedingly small sample size of what's in my dive locker, it looks like the inclusion of dates in the serial number started after 1971 and extended until at least 1983 and possibly 1986:

Conshelf XI bought new by me in 1971 - 1st stage S/N: 289146 (stamped on original 3000 psi yoke), 2nd stage S/N: 267263. IIRC, some Conshelf XII's were converted from Conshelf XI's. I don't now recall the distinction. Yoke secured by nut.
Conshelf Supreme: 1st stage S/N: 8608798 (no space), Threaded yoke.
Conshelf XIV: 1st stage S/N: 82 27798 (note space); 2nd stage: 82 57937; octo: 83 13415. Threaded yoke.
USD Octo on my PRAM: 80 51589.

The Conshelf XI and XII had 1 HP and 2 LP ports. IIRC, one of the "innovations" of the Conshelf XIV was the third LP port. When BC's became popular, we just added a Dacor 3 port adapter instead of buying new regulators. :-)

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:49 pm

The 2 1st stages I have, have the serial numbers with the "-" (74-XXXXX & 77-XXXXX). I have a SE2 that I bought new without the "-"

The SE2 has 1HP and 4LP ports.

I'm sure that the one with 74-XXXX and 1HP/2LP ports is a XII butwhat s the one with 77-XXXX with 1HP/3LP ports?

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Gilldiver wrote:
I'm sure that the one with 74-XXXX and 1HP/2LP ports is a XII butwhat s the one with 77-XXXX with 1HP/3LP ports?
It's a Conshelf XIV first stage. I found a link on the Web to a '77 Conshelf XIV

http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/index ... hread=1628

Conshelf XIV 2nd stages were different from the earlier ones as well. the earlier ones had a longer exhaust tee than on the XIV's and also that was smaller at the ends than the Conshelf XIV's. I think the actual exhaust ports differed in size as well.

Either way, they're great regulators. I retired my XI from anything but pool use only because a BC and the fitting isn't needed for the pool, the rubber parts like exhaust Tees are hard to get, and the longer ones tend to split. Plus, both XIV and Supreme parts are still available.

Enjoy! :-)

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:11 am

They are both XII regulators. The one with the yoke nut and the 4,000 PSI yoke with 1 HP and 2 LP ports is an early conshelf XII. The late model 12's feature 3 low pressure ports, and pretty much look just like an XIV. The early 12's had the thinner heavy yoke like a 73 RAM.

The VI had 1 HP, 1LP. Its second stage had the 7/8" exhaust valve.

The XI had 1HP, 2LP. Its second stage has the 'magnum' exhaust valve, with a calypso style exhaust tee. It is easily identifiable because it still used a metal yoke screw.

The XII had 1HP, 2LP (early) and 1HP, 3LP (late model). Its second stage had a magnum exhaust valve with the common press on tee, and a teflon second stage lever. Early models are easy to pick out because they use a yoke nut, while later ones used the C-Clip. They all had plastic yoke knobs.

The XIV has 1HP and 3LP (though always a 3/8" HP port) and the same second stage. It looks identical to a late model XII except for the stickers.

The conshelf 20 (not vintage, but just for your edification), has the same conshelf XIV first stage, but a plastic second stage. The second stage is internally identical to the metal one in the XIV.

Incidentally, you can get a SE or 22 first stage, in which some models have 4 LP ports if you like diving a drysuit. It looks identical to the XIV first stage, except with 1 more LP port. I have two 22 first stages hooked to XIV second stages, and that is what I currently use for my tech rig.

I hope this helps man.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:54 am

slonda828 wrote:The VI had 1 HP, 1LP. Its second stage had the 7/8" exhaust valve.

The XI had 1HP, 2LP. Its second stage has the 'magnum' exhaust valve, with a calypso style exhaust tee. It is easily identifiable because it still used a metal yoke screw.

The XII had 1HP, 2LP (early) and 1HP, 3LP (late model). Its second stage had a magnum exhaust valve with the common press on tee, and a teflon second stage lever. Early models are easy to pick out because they use a yoke nut, while later ones used the C-Clip. They all had plastic yoke knobs.

The XIV has 1HP and 3LP (though always a 3/8" HP port) and the same second stage. It looks identical to a late model XII except for the stickers.

The conshelf 20 (not vintage, but just for your edification), has the same conshelf XIV first stage, but a plastic second stage. The second stage is internally identical to the metal one in the XIV.

Incidentally, you can get a SE or 22 first stage, in which some models have 4 LP ports if you like diving a drysuit. It looks identical to the XIV first stage, except with 1 more LP port. I have two 22 first stages hooked to XIV second stages, and that is what I currently use for my tech rig.

I hope this helps man.
That is just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Now, are you still doing rebuild kits for these?

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:52 am

Ok, I went over them this morning, both have rock solid IP's and I have them up around 130 as I am just that way.

The 77- one has the labled Conshelf XII 2nd stage
The 74- has a Calipso J labled 2nd stage.

So, am I corect in saying that the 77- Conshelf 1st stage is the same as the Conshelf XIV?

Next, the inneards of the Conshelf and Calypso 2nds look the same, are they the same? The exhaust ports look to be the same size.

Last, is a Conshelf XIV 2nd stage any diffrent from the above 2 with the exception of the exhaust port?

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Any second stage for USD that has the same exhaust valve and bottom box uses the same parts. There are really three generations of second stage. You have the conshelf VI style (which included deepstar and hydrolung), the conshelf XI style (which included deepstar II, calypso II, calypso J, calypso III) and then the modern style one, which included the calypso IV, VI, J, Aquarius, etc. The best second stage overall is the later style one with the press on tee as it features the teflon lever and largest exhaust valve. However, if it has a screw on exhaust tee and was made from 1971 until 1974 or so, it will have the larger exhaust valve as well (you can visually check it). Anyone with a large exhaust valve is fine for tech diving. I would probably keep the 7/8" exhaust valve second stage for recreational depths, the magnahelic is not kind to those on the exhalation effort.

You can rebuild any of these with parts you can find in Bryan's store, or on Mcmaster Carr. Bryan's LP seats, first stage diaphragms, and HP seats will fit the conshelf. The standard Diverite exhaust valve is a direct fit for the later style second stages. Locknuts and o-rings can be purchased at Mcmaster. That should about cover it. Make sure to get stuff from Bryan where you can, so we can keep his ability to develop new products high.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Thank you for the information.

Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Wed May 23, 2012 8:36 pm

From the information below, I believe the Conshelf XIV second stage kit in the store will work on a Calypso IV second. Is this correct?
slonda828 wrote:Any second stage for USD that has the same exhaust valve and bottom box uses the same parts. There are really three generations of second stage. You have the conshelf VI style (which included deepstar and hydrolung), the conshelf XI style (which included deepstar II, calypso II, calypso J, calypso III) and then the modern style one, which included the calypso IV, VI, J, Aquarius, etc. The best second stage overall is the later style one with the press on tee as it features the teflon lever and largest exhaust valve. However, if it has a screw on exhaust tee and was made from 1971 until 1974 or so, it will have the larger exhaust valve as well (you can visually check it). Anyone with a large exhaust valve is fine for tech diving. I would probably keep the 7/8" exhaust valve second stage for recreational depths, the magnahelic is not kind to those on the exhalation effort.

You can rebuild any of these with parts you can find in Bryan's store, or on Mcmaster Carr. Bryan's LP seats, first stage diaphragms, and HP seats will fit the conshelf. The standard Diverite exhaust valve is a direct fit for the later style second stages. Locknuts and o-rings can be purchased at Mcmaster. That should about cover it. Make sure to get stuff from Bryan where you can, so we can keep his ability to develop new products high.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Boiler81 wrote:From the information below, I believe the Conshelf XIV second stage kit in the store will work on a Calypso IV second. Is this correct?
Yes and so will the diaphragm. :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Great, it looks like the Calypso is about to become my secondary on my Phoenix.
Bryan wrote:
Boiler81 wrote:From the information below, I believe the Conshelf XIV second stage kit in the store will work on a Calypso IV second. Is this correct?
Yes and so will the diaphragm. :)

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”