BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Aqualung Calypso First Stage

Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:35 pm

Does anyone know if the pre-2004 Aqualung Calypso first stage internals are the same as the Aquarius? I'm looking for a rebuild kit and wondered if the one Bryan has in his online store for the Aquarius will work. Thanks in advance for any help/info...
AL Calypso Firts Stage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Aqualung Calypso First Stage

Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:54 pm

I am looking at the diagram of both regulators and the impression I get is that the only thing they have in common is the 3/8 port O-ring and the small piston O-ring.

Item 15 in the Calypso (2004) is part number 820011 O-ring

Item 6 in the Aquarius is part number 8200-11 O-ring

Same O-ring on both.

The small piston O-ring:

Calypso item 11, part number 820007

Aquarius item 14, part number 8200-07

Those are standard off the shelf O-rings. They HP seat may be similar diameter and height, but they are different part numbers. I have no idea if they are can be interchanged.

Good luck.

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

BigSwell
Master Diver

Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:59 pm

Luis, that was exactly the info I was looking for. Also, your photo labels helped guide me to the manuals section of the site to download the files I'll need to do the service; that's one of the HUGE assets of this site so thanks to all who help contribute to it. It's interesting the filter is the same one used on the Legend. I opened this thing up and it's in serious need of a service. I bought it for $10 from a local guy who used it as a bailout reg, which is what I'll also use it for once it's serviced. Also got a SEA first stage from him for $20 so I'll open that one up next, a bit more to that service than the Calypso...
Cheers Luis, I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:18 pm

For what it's worth, the SEA uses all the same internal parts as a Conshelf plus one extra oring. They are heavy regs but otherwise great regs.
Herman

BigSwell
Master Diver

Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:07 am

Thanks for the heads-up Herman. I was looking at the SEA stuff in the manuals section of this website and noticed that. When I travel with my wife for diving, she takes a Micra reg. The SEA is the 1st stage on her setup and I noticed it is also referred to as the "Micra 1st stage" in some texts. The one I have to rebuild came with a SE3 second stage... go figure. The thing is a tank, and I thought my POSeidon Cyklon was heavy... the SEA has to be close in weight. I wonder what the history or story behind it is? I have a few conshelfs and they're bullet-proof as far as I'm concerned, why change the external of it? As a side question, do you happen to know if I can used a modern Titan DIN adapter (like to one I have on my Phoenix) on the Calypso I posted about in the OP? The threads of the retaining nut looks to be the same thread/pitch but I know looks can be deceiving when we are talking about Aqualung regs.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:17 am

A Conshelf/Titan DIN will not fit. The SEA is like the Legend, it mounts 90 deg to the tank, if any DIN will work it would be for it. According to the manual, there is/was a DIN option. Finding one might be an issue.
Another slight issue you may have with the SEA is some of the LP ports on some models were 1/2 instead of 3/8. Not a big deal but does require an adapter (or the larger hose...which I don't recommend) . The thing I liked about them was the ease which you can replace the HP seat. Odds are if anything goes wrong on a trip, it's due to the HP seat, you can easily remove it, replace the seat and close it back up without dissembling the reg.
Herman

BigSwell
Master Diver

Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:37 pm

Thanks for the reply Herman... I'll keep looking around to see what I can find. The SEA on my wife's travel setup has the 1/2" port. I've read somewhere that AL thought it would be a selling point to have larger bore hoses for the second stage but in the end, the amount of air was negligible and all it did was make it more difficult for people to use standard hoses and thereby making yet another part for AL to have in their stock. Funny, I was just reading that AL has started to make combination rebuild kits for their regs in an effort to lessen the amount of specialized kits a shop would need to have/order Technical Bulletin 53 back in 2019. Now instead of have say 3 different kits for regs that have minor differences, they have 1 kit which will cover all three... with some orings etc not used. When I see a kit that costs $18 or so and a dive shop marks that up to $80 or $100 (yes, a local shop here in San Diego quoted me that figure for the kit if they serviced the reg PLUS labor of $100) and all it has are a few orings and maybe a new filter I think the cost per oring is extortion, especially if it's a standard oring like 112, 003 etc.
1080094685.jpg
1080094511.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”