ali900
First Name: Alister

US Divers Conshelf some questions

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:19 am

Hi sorry if these questions have been asked before.
I have a conshelf 2 2 (I think which I have had since I started diving 18 years ago) and have recently bought a Supreme ( think it might be a SE2 has it has 1 1/2" LP, 3 3/8" LP, and 1 HP).

1st question is , is it worth rechroming the 1/st stage body to make it look pretty and does any rechromers that do boat parts ok to use or will rechroming make it unusable? ( I live in Scotland )

2nd Question is inside the supreme the pin is just a straight pin and the pin in the other one has a larger end ? I think the one with the larger end is a newer. Why was the pin design changed and is it better to try and change the pin to the newer style or is it safe enought to use it as is?

Ali

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: US Divers Conshelf some questions

Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:19 am

Either pin work just fine. There is no need to change the pin and receiver mushroom (pin support) if you already have the parts.

I personally like the straight pin without the head just because I think it is simpler and straight stainless steel pins are available from multiple sources, but I continue to use the original pins with the heads if that is what came with the regulator.

Re-chroming is a personal choice. It is not hard to find good looking Conshelf here in the US, so it is hard to justify the cost of re-chroming (and it is not going to work any better).

I have had several double hose re-chromed and they look great. The quality of the work can vary a lot and they often do a very decent job of plating the exterior, but the interior is harder to do. The interior should be dry and should not need the corrosion protection, but it often benefits from good plating.

If you have it re-chrome, they will have to strip the original plating so you do take a bit of a risk, mostly with the interior protecting plating.

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ali900
First Name: Alister

Re: US Divers Conshelf some questions

Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I had wrongly thought that the straight pin was the older style.
Is there a way to tell the year that they were made from the serial number? (ZBB1005 U5B0897)
Ali

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”