Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: MR12 Question

Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 am

I will say that California surf entries are some of the roughest I've ever seen anywhere depending on the beach. They make Florida surf entries look tame and I used to think some of those were sketchy (Like Pepper Park when it's bad.)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Ron wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 am
I will say that California surf entries are some of the roughest I've ever seen anywhere depending on the beach. They make Florida surf entries look tame and I used to think some of those were sketchy (Like Pepper Park when it's bad.)
I've always said that if you can dive a surf entry location in California you can pretty much dive anywhere. Some of our rip currents rival those currents I've dove in the Pacific Northwest including around certain parts of Vancouver Island. I have seen many many tourist divers (without surf training) and even local divers with only boat dives for certification, attempting to navigate through the surf zone. The outcome is usually untrained diver (0), King Neptune (1). I've seen masks torn from faces, weight belts dropped, jacket-style BC's (with tank and reg) come unclipped and fall off, fins ejected from feet.... I've lost count of the number of times I've run down to the water's edge and pulled a fully outfitted diver out of the roiling white water and back up onto the beach after they've been knocked down by a wave and can't stand up. The power of the sea is often underestimated. My 2psi.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 pm

I've done some of those entry's off Point Sur area. They ain't easy. Try a Door County Wisconsin one though. Soft Ball size rocks, slippery than "H". The surf won't be as big, but you will have not anything to stand on. Very unforgiving.... The reward is 50 foot viz and large small mouth bass guarding the drop off. In some cases a hundred year old wreck. :lol:

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”