ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sherwood something.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:21 pm

My former boat partner and dive buddy just got hauled off to the old-folks home where they will keep him comfortable in his last days. He gave me his current regulator, (the really cool ones apparenty consigned to the trash dump by his helpful relatives who cleaned out his condo for him). I know zero about Sherwoods.

1. What Sherwood model is it?

2. Are parts available?

3. Is it worth fixing up?

Thanks,

Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Sherwood something.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:50 pm

I think it's a SRB-5700 Oasis ( I have a manual). Parts should be available and it's a good reg. By the way you do know Sherwoods are SUPPOSED to leak don't you ?? One of the "port plugs" should be a rubber stopper, a small stream of bubbles SHOULD come out of it if it's working properly.
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Herman wrote:
I think it's a SRB-5700 Oasis ( I have a manual). Parts should be available and it's a good reg. By the way you do know Sherwoods are SUPPOSED to leak don't you ?? One of the "port plugs" should be a rubber stopper, a small stream of bubbles SHOULD come out of it if it's working properly.
Thanks Herman. Good to know about the bubbles. Like I said, I know zero about the brand.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 am

"Sherwood, the leaking reg" :)
It's part of their environmental sealing feature and IMO, a pretty good one. You will notice there are no ambient holes like on most piston regs. Instead they bleed a tiny amount of air into the spring chamber and then allow it to escape via the rubber one way valve. This keeps the spring chamber at ambient pressure, slightly over actually, without allowing water to get to the spring. If you use a SW for a pony bottle, it should always have the valve open and charged, otherwise water may leak into the spring chamber and make a mess since you can't easily rinse it out. I wouldn't soak them unpressurized for the same reason.
Herman

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Herman thank you for for the info as well. I have a couple of them that were part of a LDS buy out I recently did. I was puzzled about the rubber plug.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Sherwoods often scare new divers when they see a small stream of bubbles coming from the reg. That sealing system and the floating HP orifice (on balanced models....basically all except the Brut) make the Sherwood an odd reg but they work well and are reliable.
Don't use it if there is NOT a small stream of bubbles coming from the rubber plug.
Herman

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Herman wrote:

Herman,

Sorry for the VERY late response....

I have a Dacor Viper that looks identical to this reg. Do you know if they are the same? I also have a yellow Dacor octopus, new, in the bag, that looks identical. Just can't recall if it's a Viper or some other name.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”